Friday, February 18, 2005

The voice of the turtle

The Song of Songs speaks of the coming of spring:

My beloved speaks and says to me:
"Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away;
for now the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away.
—Song of Solomon 2:10-13


I am fond of the Authorized Version's turn of phrase, "the voice of the turtle," though that was always difficult for me to imagine as a child. Cannot recall ever having heard a turtle making noises, you know what I mean?

Still and all, there have been dove sightings aplenty from my window of late, in spite of the heavier than usual rains from the "pineapple express" that has been blowing through. I saw several this morning, but was not able to get a photo of them. I did get some pics of the crows that hang around the neighborhood and a few of the day in general.

I hope you enjoy them.
The BB

No comments: