Monday, June 18, 2007

Nuance? Backpedaling? You decide

"Tournament of Roses" variety
While thinking in one context yesterday I wrote something that, in another context, is thoughtless and irresponsible.

I said there was nothing wrong with either my wanting to see things grow in the desert or trying to reproduce a Berkleley hills garden in my little corner of the world. When I said there was "nothing wrong with either of those two things" I meant in a psychological sense. In an ecological sense there is a great deal to ponder and criticize.

What sort of respect for this part of the world can I possibly show when trying to make the desert (technically "high grasslands," I have been informed) into something it is not? And how responsible am I being with resources?

I am conscious of the life-blood of our Mother, that most precious reality of life in this corner of the world: water. I water by hand, use lots of mulch to minimize evaporation, and think about the precious gift of water as I nurture each growing thing. The front yards in my neighborhood are all xeriscaped and drip irrigation provides just enough to keep things alive. Overall, according to my water bill, I am well below average household use. Still, I cannot escape discomfort when using water. Nor should I. May the Creator keep me conscious of the consequences of my actions.

In addition to bringing joy to my own heart, I hope my garden will lift the spirits of others and that future harvests of fruits and vegetables will nourish body and soul alike.

Salvia, dwarf marigolds, and sweet alyssum
"PiƱata" rose variety
Firstfruits
This morning I harvested my first cherry tomato. I spotted the globe of bright red in the depths of the greenery while watering this morning. No idea how it evaded my sight previously but this morning it seemed to shine and cry out, "Here I am!"

I brought it in, sharpened my paring knife and sliced it thinly. Added a leaf of basil from the yard, julienned and sprinkled on top. Three drops of olive oil on the plate, a sprinkle of salt, some freshly ground black pepper. Quite satisfying.

I then made a thank-offering throughout the garden, beginning at the tomato patch and walking deosil about the yard, sprinkling tobacco and giving thanks. No, I do not smoke tobacco; in fact, I abhor cigarette and cigar smoke. But I do offer pipe tobacco to the Creator and the seven directions. We must not take without offering respect and thanks.
--The BB