Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Bishop Gene gives a blessing

As the frame opened I recognized the frontal on the altar from one of my own visits to All Saints, Pasadena. It was at All Saints that I was present when Florence Li Tim-Oi, the first woman priest of the Anglican Communion, presided at the Eucharist. I knew I was present as "history was being made" (if I may invoke a cliché). It is only fitting that Bishop Robinson be at the altar of All Saints now.




Thanks to Father Jake for pointing me to this clip. And thanks to Susan Russell who provides the text as well as the YouTube bit.

MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH DISCOMFORT AT EASY ANSWERS, HALF TRUTHS, AND SUPERFICIAL RELATIONSHIPS, SO THAT YOU MAY LIVE DEEP WITHIN YOUR HEART. AMEN

MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH ANGER AT INJUSTICE, OPPRESSION AND EXPLOITATION OF PEOPLE, SO THAT YOU MAY WORK FOR JUSTICE, FREEDOM AND PEACE. AMEN

MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH TEARS TO SHED FOR THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM PAIN, REJECTION, STARVATION AND WAR, SO THAT YOU MAY REACH OUT YOUR HAND TO COMFORT THEM AND TURN THEIR PAIN INTO JOY. AMEN

MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH ENOUGH FOOLISHNESS TO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS WORLD, SO THAT YOU CAN DO WHAT OTHERS CLAIM CANNOT BE DONE. AMEN

[Franciscan Four Fold Blessing]


I borrow shamelessly and am grateful to those who share.
--the BB

No comments: