Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Writing styles and levels

cash advance



It could be worse. I could be writing at a postgraduate level. Many years ago when I worked as an accounting manager in a biotech firm I ran a similar test on two samples of my writing. My sermons consistently came out at sixth-grade level and my work correspondence at grade 17 (post-grad). I took pride in both ratings, with my sermons accessible and my work very carefully nuanced and technical. One had to get past the legal department and the other past a bright child. You know where my heart was.

h/t to Wyld's Q&A for the quiz and to FranIAm for pointing me to Wyld.

UPDATE: Oh dear, what have I stirred up? See comment's at Mimi's shelter for reprobates.
--the BB

7 comments:

June Butler said...

Well, Paul, thanks for this. Mine came out on the "Genius" level, which I find totally embarrassing and ridiculous. I posted the result for laughs, but the size of the print on my whole blog shrank to a very small size, so I removed the post, and the print size returned to normal. Someone's trying to tell me something. I believe I'll leave it off.

June Butler said...

I got the glitch straightened out, and the post is up in all its silliness.

Paul said...

Mimi, you have always been too modest. Of course, now that you have posted it, Maddie will give you no end of grief. But that never changes.

Unknown said...

Random sillyness is always fun.

Paul said...

I firmly believe silliness to be one of the gifts of the Spirit. It would no doubt show up if we had the original manuscripts of St Paul's letters. Some curmudgeon of a copyist no doubt omitted it in the various lists.

Thanks for your service, Wyldth1ng!

johnieb said...

makes my heart sing.

Paul said...

I was a little slow on the uptake, johnieb. You're not cruising Marines now, are you? Dangerous, very dangerous. LOL