Monday, December 06, 2010

My letter to the White House


Dear Mr. President:

I urge you, I beg you not to water down your original, reasonable position on taxes, namely: extend cuts for the working class and let the cuts for income above $250,000 expire. This is the overwhelmingly popular position with the American People. It makes sense.

Compromising with the Republicans, however, will not entice them to compromise with you. It will not encourage them to work with you. It will not foster bipartisanship. It will only encourage their endless threats to hold their breaths until they get their way and to treat you like a pushover. You will gain zero respect from Republicans and zero respect from Democrats. I doubt you will win many moderates either.

Please, please, please stand up to the GOP. Don't damage our economy for the benefit of the very few, who do not need such a benefit.

I cannot express this more strongly and remain civil. Your standing with the Democratic base is already shaky and my hope in change wanes with every unreasonable compromise.

Please step out of the bubble and hear what the American People are saying.

Thank you.

[I requested a response and will add it in an update.]

--the BB

3 comments:

Michal Anne said...

I don't know what is wrong with this man--can't believe we actually worked to get him elected. With him in the white house, who needs republicans???

June Butler said...

Yours is an excellent letter, Paul. I wish I had confidence that Obama would listen.

His scolding of the people who elected him was way over the line and indicated a kind of desperation.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Amen, amen!