Friday, August 10, 2007

Pilgrim memories - 1 in a series

In summer of 1997 I was blessed to spend two weeks in Durham attending a seminar on Celtic Spirituality and Modern Mission. We stayed at the Durham Castle, now a dormitory of the University of Durham, and had several outings. One was to Lindisfarne, or Holy Island, where St Aidan chose to base his work. He was the first Bishop of Lindisfarne and St Cuthbert, patron of our parish in Oakland, was one of his successors.
This is a photo of Hobthrush Island viewed from Lindisfarne. Just as Lindisfarne is cut off from the mainland at high tide, so Hobthrush is cut of from Lindisfarne. We were there at low tide. Hobthrush is where Cuthbert first tried his hand at being a hermit. It was, however, too close to the priory on Lindisfarne and folks could shout across to him, so he ventured further to Inner Farne Island which can bee seen from Lindisfarne but is a good distance away.
Here I am on Hobthrush, standing in front of a wooden cross among the foundations of a stone Saxon building that was later than Cuddy's time. I am holding the parish icon of St Cuthbert that I had written the previous year. Taking it on pilgrimage was my way of ensuring the presence of Cuthbert during this pilgrimage.
Cuddy and me with the Rev. David Adam, at that time Vicar of St Mary's, Lindisfarne, a prolific author on Celtic spirituality.

My home in Albuquerque is named Desert Farne, my own retreat from the world. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Archangel Raphael, and St Cuthbert.

Nothing profound to say about it all at this time, just sharing old photos. Well, the one very unprofound thought that occurred to me is that I looked so young ten years ago.
--the BB

No comments: