Monday, October 08, 2007

Blame Dennis

Dennis at psychology, dogs, politics and wine got tagged with one of the list thingies. He had the decency to tag no one, so I will volunteer as a taggee.

Four answers to various things about me:

Four jobs I've held
  1. Dishwasher / cook’s helper (summer camp and juvenile hall—yes, I spent a summer in juvie)
  2. Resident hall assistant (graveyard shift)
  3. Accountant (someone has to track the beans)
  4. Parish priest (both as a gift and grace and for my sins which are many and grievous)

Four films I could watch over and over (and have done so)
  1. Four Weddings and a Funeral
  2. Much Ado about Nothing (with Thompson & Branagh)
  3. Babette’s Feast
  4. The Milagro Beanfield War
Four TV shows I watch

  1. CSI (the original)
  2. Law and Order: Criminal Intent
  3. The Daily Show
  4. Robin Hood (BBC) (I must confess I also watch Psych and Scrubs: heavy stuff)

Four places I've lived

  1. Fresno, California (my birthplace)
  2. Montpellier, France (for two months in my senior year, followed by one month in Paris)
  3. Albany, California (small town with all the advantages of being next to but not in Berkeley)
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
Four Favorite Foods
  1. Butter (the one place where my Swedish genes come through). Not to list this first and by itself would be dishonest. So many other foods support butter well: breads, crackers, vegetables, baked potatoes, etc.
  2. Anything cooked by Bill (whether grilled vegies, kulebiaka, pork loin, roast beef with his mother’s mushroom and sour cream sauce, beef stroganoff, creative leftovers, or anything else)
  3. Fruit desserts, especially extremely tart lemon ones
  4. Lasagna when made with al dente pasta, excellent cheeses, and really good sauce; either meat or vegetarian is fine with me (the only, only, only point at which I resonate with that vile cartoon cat Garfield)
Four websites I visit every day (How to choose? I visit so many every day.)
  1. The Wounded Bird
  2. Padre Mickey’s Dance Party
  3. Hullabaloo
  4. The Mahablog
Four favorite colors
  1. Blue (royal, cerulean, ultramarine, sapphire, indigo)
  2. Deep rich reds (garnet, burgundy)
  3. Rich dark greens (pine, dark emerald, forest)
  4. Bright saturated warm golden yellows (marigold), lemon rind, and pale butter yellow

Four places I would love to be now

  1. Le Midi (the South of France)
  2. Spain (never been, want to go)
  3. The Berkeley hills (Chez Panisse?)
  4. New England
Four names I love but wouldn't use to name the next dog
  1. Vunskridh (but I wouldn’t want to marry her)
  2. Hripsime (such an exotic-sounding Armenian name; I think it’s totally cool); and Stjepan Drzslav has always been big since my course in medieval Balkan history.
  3. Alexander and its many variants
  4. Christopher


Montpellier, France
In the words of Dennis:
Am I supposed to tag four other people? 
 I don't want to do that. I might forget someone. Or upset them. Not going to tread in those waters.

Respond if you wish.
—the BB

4 comments:

Dennis said...

glad I could help!

You do realize that the rest of the crowd had the four names they wouldn't name a kid. Since our kids have four legs and like to chase tennis balls around the backyard I had to change it to dogs. Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

(great pic - One of the best meals I ever had was in Montpellier!)

June Butler said...

Paul, we're together on the movies, except for "Milagro". I thought it was an excellent movie, but I only watched it once.

Some folks think I'm nuts for liking "Four Weddings" so much, but I still laugh out loud when I watch it, over and over again. It was Hugh Grant's best ever.

I want to go to Spain, too. Never been.

Paul said...

As I responded to Dennis at his place, I realized by Padre Mickey's answers that the original involved children, not dogs, but I had done my answers already and I had no part in naming my nieces and nephews, so the young are safe. (Well, they're not so young, ranging from 56 to 16).

Grandmère, if you and G-père are in town, I have a guest room and a copy of Milagro. A little popcorn, propped up feet, and it's movie night at Desert Farne!

My friend Kathy responded as follows:
Four jobs I've held:

1) newspaper carrier (perhaps my favorite job - the solitude, working at
night, independent)
2) production worker in a homeopathic company (great product, okay people,
but I felt like I was making a difference, since the product was so good)
3) stay-at-home-mom (the hardest job I've ever had - hell, I'm still a
mom and it ain't gettin' any easier! But enormously fulfilling - whenever
I want to cuddle a warm, tender thought, I remember my children playing
together or watching a favorite TV show of their with them, or reading
their favorite books to them (Berenstein Bears)
4) upholsterer

Four films I could watch over and over:

1) Noises Off (a riotious comedy with a plethora of comedians, including
Carol Burnett, John Ritter, Michael Caine and Merilu Henner - very, very
funny!)
2) The Birdcage (with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane - never fails to make
me feel warm and soothed - their characters love for each other permeats
the film)
3) My Best Friend's Wedding (my favorite Julia Roberts film and of
course, Rubert Everett is the icing on the cake. A poignant reminder that
love doesn't always work out the way you'd like, but it can be oh-so-sweet
nonetheless)
4) Signs (probably the film closest to my heart - incredibly spiritual and
deeply moving - M. Night Shyamalan is a remarkable man. Even if it does
star one of the men I like the least in the film industry - Mel Gibson)

Four TV shows I watch:

1) Scrubs (although, as I get older, the "care" shown the patients makes
me more and more nervous, but I don't trust doctors, anyhow, so guess it
couldn't get much worse!)
2) The Daily Show (witty, sometimes over the top silliness, but Stewart
saves it every time with his intelligence and finger on the pulse and is
such a welcome relief from all the BS on "regular" news)
3) Law and Order (the original with Jerry Orbach) (I love crime shows - I
watch a lot of Court TV, too), but can't stomach the details of sexual
crimes or especially violent ones. Besides, I like Jack McCoy!)
4) This isn't a weekly series, but Planet Earth will go down in my mind as
my all-time favorite TV program - I sat, mesmerized, tears rolling down my
cheeks at the sheer beauty and grandeur of our beautiful planet and the
animals on it.

Four places I've lived:
1) Lincoln, NM (where I grew up - population: 215...oops, somebody
died...make that 214.)
2) Las Cruces, NM (where I went to college, possibly one of the most
narrow-minded, close-minded bunch of bigots I've ever met in one
place...couldn't WAIT to get out of there!)
3) Santa Fe, NM (my favorite place to live - of course, this was back in
the early 80s and 90s - before the influx of out-of-staters. Homey,
friendly, crammed with history, artists and other creative people. Loved
it!)
4) Albuquerque, NM

Four Favorite Foods:
1) Oysters (cooked, please, but anyway prepared is great)
2) Cheesecake (the New York kind, not Kraft, if you please)
3) Corn (on the cob, in a pan, grilled...even creamed if necessary)
4) Shrimp/Crab (can you tell that I'm an ocean girl at heart? Not a pork
chop or steak on the list!)

Four websites I visit every day:
1) Excite - for news and any look-ups, research I ever do
2) MSN - for news
3) Seattle Cartoon site - for my daily start-the-morning chuckle
4) Time/Newsweek magazine site - for more news, balanced reporting and
articles

Four favorite colors:
1) Black (soothing, sensory-deprivation relaxing)
2) Teal (such a rich, vibrant color)
3/4) Earth colors - rust, cream, tan, brown

Four places I would love to be now:
1) Hawaii (always wanted to go there)
2) San Francisco (ditto)
3) Dallas (one of my closest friends is there)
4) UK (tons of history there, plus I have bloodlines there)

Four names I love and WOULD use to name the next dog:
1) Machu Picchu (cat I once had)
2) Antiope (Amazon queen - cat)
3) Bette (Midler) - dog
4) Mufasa (Lion King) - dog

June Butler said...

Paul, thanks for the offer of hospitality. When we head that way, we'll take you up on it. We're always passing through from Louisiana, you know.