Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Creativity and Certainty

Trompe L'oeil, Salem (Germany) from Wiki

John Bradshaw has an interesting comment about creativity in his book Healing the Shame That Binds You. He writes:
Richard Bandler [one of the founders of NeuroLinguistic Programming (NLP)] suggested that one of the major blocks to creativity was the feeling of knowing you are right. When we think we are absolutely right, we stop seeking new information. To be right is to be certain, and to be certain stops us from being curious. Curiosity and wonder are at the heart of all learning. Plato said that all philosophy begins in wonder. So the feeling of absolute certainty and righteousness causes us to stop seeking and learning. (Page 14)

Immediately before that paragraph Bradshaw states "For me, the greatest human power is the creative power."

Rather than offer a comment on this, I offer the prayer for the newly-baptized:
Heavenly Father, we thank you that by water and the Holy Spirit you have bestowed upon these your servants the forgiveness of sin, and have raised them to the new life of grace. Sustain them, O Lord, in your Holy Spirit. Give them an inquiring and discerning heart, the courage to will and to persevere, a spirit to know and to love you, and the gift of joy and wonder in all your works. Amen.


--the BB

1 comment:

June Butler said...

The certainty of some folks is baffling to me, because the older I get, the more I'm aware of how much I don't know, and the more I want to learn.

I hope that I never move away from the desire to seek.