Thursday, October 04, 2007

Frenchy: most admired, least imitated

Francis by Zurbaran
Professor Gerhard B. Ladner, in his class on early and medieval church history at UCLA, commented that Francis was, perhaps, the most admired and least imitated of all the saints.

There are wonderful posts on Francis (here and here and here and here and here). My thanks to the online company of the faithful who nurture, challenge, and care about one another.

I would like to draw your attention especially to the post by Fr. Jake. He has the lyrics there. Here is the video meditation on Surely We Can Change, David Crowder Band, Remedy (2007):



Dear Francesco,
Please pray for us; we are making such a mess of it all. Help us to see, to really see and know and understand, God's gracious love manifest in all creation. May we see Christ in friend and foe, enemy and stranger, wherever we go. Give my fond regards to the wolf of Gubbio. Thanks.

--the BB

Update: Fr. Jake credits Bob Carlton, and I hereby do the same.

3 comments:

June Butler said...

So. What are we going to do?

Paul said...

I think my hope is in my prayer to Francesco, believing that if we do truly see God's love manifest in all creation and Christ in all people, we may begin to act accordingly, and in that lies hope.

Of course, my gut wants to see some heads roll, literally. But the Spirit somewhere deeper within me than the id-driven gut, desires something better than that.

June Butler said...

Paul, I think you're right. Just trying to live out the Gospel in small ways in our daily lives is hard enough.

"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." I believe that Jesus really meant that, and not in a watered-down way. I think we're meant to be literalists with those words.

By the way the Zurbarán is probably my favorite depiction of Francis.