Thursday, November 25, 2010

The aftermath

So, for the first time in my life I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. It was collaborative. Guests brought the turkey and the pumpkin pie. I provided all the side dishes: mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed spinach, apples and yams in butter and brown sugar, cranberry sauce, cranberry-orange relish, gravy, and whipped cream for the pie. Huge thanks to Bill for helping me cook and generally get ready.

I kept a little for myself (all I really wanted) and sent guests home with lots of leftovers. Between tryptophan, wine, and the painkiller I'm taking for trauma after drilling and filling a huge cavity in a tooth two days before Thanksgiving I almost went to bed at 6:30. Two hours later I am still something less than alert.

Many thanks for all who have held the family in prayer during my father-in-law's final illness and death and through yesterday's memorial service. You are all appreciated.

Anticipating a slow day at work tomorrow and a matinee at the cinema with Kathy on Saturday. Time to chill.

--the BB


Fran said...

You, your family and friends who are in mourning have not left my heart.

Glad to see this post although I am most sorry about Thanksgiving week dentistry.

Love you to BB!

Paul said...

Thanks, Fran. Bill is off to Hawaii today to join friends for five days. I am planning a very low-key weekend. Blessings to you and yours.

susankay said...

Blessings to you and all your family who mourn. I'm so glad you were able to give thanks together.

Paul said...

Thanks, Susankay.

TheCunningRunt said...

Oh, Paul, I'm so sorry to have missed this - I've been an indefensibly bad reader. Thoughts and prayers ascending for you and all who share your loss.

On a different note, I'm surprised that this was your first Thanksgiving as a host, and glad that it went well.

Isn't tryptophan a gift? (heheh)

Paul said...

Thanks, Ralph. The week before last was a rough one.

Bill and I hosted lots of holiday dinners but I had only done side dishes for Thanksgiving. As it turns out, that was the case again and Bill even helped me with that. He had Thanksgiving dinner with his family, his father's memorial service having been the preceding evening and I had my friend Kathy and her sons over. Kathy and the boys brought the turkey and pie. Bill flew to Hawaii the following day to join friends.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Nice looking table!