Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you lot), we have a winner

Colin Gilmore
Last night I was at an outdoor concert, perhaps two dozen folks gathered around a campfire and listening to young Colin Gilmore play his guitar and sing. Marshmallows were roasted, as is de rigeur when folks gather at campfires. I observed only as I do not really care for marshmallows, raw or cooked.
Scarlet globe mallow (courtesy this site)

A friend and I have been trading e-mails today and discussing marshmallows. I asked if she had ever eater mallows. No. Nor have I. But that led to some googling. And lo, the answer to a question I posed yonks ago and no one had answered. The flower I see around here each autumn is a scarlet globe mallow. One friend suggested that it resembled hollyhocks and, indeed, they are all in the same family. The photo above is of an example in Arizona, the state next door, so I feel comfortable in the identification.

Did you care about all this? Of course not. But I think we should celebrate when we learn new things.

If you are in California, you can catch Colin as he journeys up the coast. Click the "shows" button for the venues. He will be in Culver City, Oxnard, Felton, Berkeley, Grass Valley, and Eugene, Oregon. He also mentioned something about Nicasio Ranch last night but I don't see that listed.

--the BB

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Is Colin a prince? He looks princely.

Oh,
I see.
He's not,
But he's hot.

Paul said...

Ma chère grandmère, I am not, Friday prince blogging notwithstanding, an aristophile. I like me some pretty men no matter who their daddy is. Yes, Colin is an attractive young fellow and a talented guitarist.

I do hope I am not nourishing a prurient streak among Southern ladies.

June Butler said...

Ain't no harm in looking, is there?

Paul said...

If there is harm in looking, I am damned. I daren't look too closely at the "lust in your heart" clause, but at my age and frame of mind it really is mostly aesthetic. Not sure I'd know what to do with it if I caught it, so to speak.

Wasn't it that lovely poem to the Rhodora from which we get this?

"Tell them, dear, if eyes were made for seeing,
Then beauty is its own excuse for being."

My line of reasoning may not be of scholastic precision but I do believe God gave us eyes to behold beauty and that is reason enough for looking.