Friday, November 02, 2007

The Lord of the dance

Nataraja: Copyrighted to Himalayan Academy Publications, Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii. Licensed for Wikipedia under Creative Commons (with attribution)

I know I was quite taken by “The Lord of the dance” when it was popular in the 70s. We sang it in seminary, youth groups seemed to enjoy it, and it captured the folk-song ethos of the time. It was a happy marriage of “Simple gifts” with a vibrant image of the Christ that contrasted strongly with what we perceived to be a very stodgy, frowning, and unappealing Jesus of our parents.

That, combined with the image of the Nataraja (Ruler of the Dance), Shiva in his dance of creation and destruction, must have had a powerful influence on my mind. To this we probably need to add Aslan singing Narnia into existence (about which I once wrote a sonnet--final line: "and a world breaks forth like a note upon his lyre"). All of which is to say that cosmic imagery and poetic expressions of the doctrine of creation are really big for me.

In the mythic imagery and cosmogony of my fictional world, the pagan version of creation is that of a dance manifesting the joyous heart music of the All Transcending. In the creation hymn are found these words:


From the heart music of the One
came the dance of delight
and the Dancer was Senjir
whose footsteps patterned the worlds
If we go back a number of years to a Eucharistic prayer I composed (and we used at St Cuddy’s), the theme of the divine dance shows up again.



We and you are joined in Jesus,
offering ourselves and all creation to you,
Maker of all things, for healing and blessing
through your transforming Spirit.
In his death you embrace death and every evil
that life and goodness may prevail.
In his rising you triumph,
drawing all creation once more
into the dance of endless joy and life that cannot end.

My thinking and theologizing are done in poetry and in visual images. The Heart of God is, for me, the only true reality. We only exist because of it and within it. There is no other place. We are part of a dance and God is our music. Let us not be grudging dancers. Whether clumsy or lightfooted, we are all called to be caught up in the joy. You don’t need to know the steps ahead of time, just get up and move. The Music will take care of you and you will share in boundless delight.

[Please respect the copyright of the block quote passages above.]
--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

I don't get it that so many of the Episcopal and Anglican persuasion hate liturgical dance so. I love it when it's well-done, and you're right, we should not ridicule it when it's not the best.

And I loved the streamers at the PB's installation.

Your prayer is lovely. I'm tempted to post it at my place and claim it as my own, but I won't do that, because that would be wrong. ;o)

Paul said...

I have seen litugical dance that was lovely and moving and some that seemed over-the-top and annoying. Sort of like readers of the lessons, yes? We expect one (reading of lessons) and are accustomed a variety of competence, sincerity, and clarity. We do not usually expect the other (dance) and are not yet accustomed to the variety of executions. We also prefer some lessons to others but live with the discipline of the lectionary. When liturgical dance doesn't seem to work for us we thus rush to denounce the phenomenon rather than the choreography or execution of this specific instance.

Because I am inclined toward participatory liturgy, I would rather my liturgical dance be something the whole congregation does, à la St Gregory Nyssen, San Francisco, than something a troupe does (which feels more performance oriented). Just my own preferences and prejudices. I like nice choid music but not nearly as much as hearty congregational hymn singing. It's all good and valid, but I have my druthers.

If there is a way I can share it with you offline, I will send you the entire Eucharistic Prayer if you promise not to publish it (though I would grant permission for it to be used in the Mass if your bishop is cool with it).

June Butler said...

Paul, I enjoy congregational singing at services much more than choir performances. I have not experienced whole congregations participating in liturgical dance, but I have read accounts of it at St. Gregory in SF. That might take getting used to.

I see that you don't have an email address posted, and I don't either. I'm trying to think of someone who would have both our addresses who would share them if we gave permission.