Thursday, January 31, 2008

Well, big duh!

Gutenberg Bible

This is really a very silly quiz. I don't mind that it is multiple choice because how else could we have quizzes that are easy to take and score instantly? But when choices include "pizza" or "San Francisco" it really robs the quiz of any meaning. I knew all the answers though I would quibble quite seriously with one. Wisdom literature and poetry are overlapping categories and the Protestant divisions of the Hebrew Scriptures are highly arbitrary and misleading. I never use them, preferring the Jewish distinction among Torah, Prophets, and Writings. And yes, I could click "yes" on the question whether I have read every word of the Bible. At least three times, most of it many times.

You know the Bible 100%!

Wow! You are awesome! You are a true Biblical scholar, not just a hearer but a personal reader! The books, the characters, the events, the verses - you know it all! You are fantastic!

Ultimate Bible Quiz
Create MySpace Quizzes




How many people are aware that Thomas Cranmer's desire in liturgical revision included a norm of all Christians reading or hearing read most of the Bible in the course of the Daily Office and Communion services? It is very Anglican to be immersed in Scripture. Granted, I was raised a Baptist and learned the Bible through a very different process, for which I am and always have been grateful. Part of my gratitude, though , is knowing the Bible well enough to note when it is being misused.

OK, enough. I'm ranting again and politics has had me doing too much ranting today.

h/t to Diane who get me started on this one.

Hugs to all who will accept them.
--the BB

16 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

Yeah, the quiz is goofy, and I got 100% on it, too.
Of course, I suppose we could bring this up next time the reASSErterS accuse us of not respecting scripture.

Paul said...

Who put the dip in the dip-di-dip-di-dip? And who put the ass in reassert?

So very uncharitable of me.

You have left the love you had at first, Mr. Bear (speaking to myself here, and quite sternly).

Jane R said...

(((BB))))

June Butler said...

Hey! Y'all can add me to the list to throw at the reasserters who think we don't know the Bible. Another score of 100%!

Paul, you be havin' a bad day, sweetie?

Paul said...

LOL. Not really, Grandmère. Nothing much happens in politics on Mondays or Fridays but today had all the analysis and reflection on Mukasey and other issues; just more of the devastation of Jerkwad Bush, etc. So I've been raking the muck, as my posts show.

Sort of fun watching the schismatics behaving self-destructively, though Schadenfreude is hardly a virtue. Guess I'm not feeling especially pious today is all.

June Butler said...

Paul, I had a sense that all those powerful egos would not mesh together and hold. Perhaps Rowan is right to let it all play out on its own. However, his bashing of TEC was and is out of order.

Today, I read somewhere that both Rowan and Sentamu have their hearts set on a reunion with Rome, and that they will throw gays and lesbians under the bus to get there. It's a vain hope, IMHO, no matter whom they throw under the bus. They should give the idea up for now and tend to their own gardens.

Paul said...

The scarlet woman on the seven hills is quite a seductress but no place for a good Anglican. I have noticed rumblings that Cantuar, at least, yearns for more than a little rapoprochement with Rome. I had not heard so much about Ebor.

Have they forgotten that brilliant Latin rebuttal their forebears wrote, rather eloquently trashing the putative claims of Leo XIII in Apostolicae Curae (1896)?

Good God! The pretensions of the Bishops of Rome are really too much. I love the Catholic Church, but not her excesses or pretensions; much as I love the Anglican Communion, but not its pretensions. [A small drop of Anglophilia goes a very long way.]

Of course, I am truly old-fashioned. If you want to go back to the undivided Church you go to Constantinople, not Rome. Rome is in NO position to talk about defective rites or theological error.

Where's my 2x4. Some slappin' upside the head needs doin' around here.

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, if I had a little time, I'd create a "real" quiz. do we want it really hard, or just a little harder?

June Butler said...

My heart is surely not set on reunion with Rome. Why now, for heaven's sake, as the Romans are trying to drag their flock back to the mid-20th century?

Anonymous said...

Rowan and I got 100 percent too. I mean, if a dog can do it I imagine even a reasserter could.

Paul said...

Diane, I think a reasonably medium hard one would be nice, the sort you could pass with solid lay knowledge. I was making up questions last night as I wend to bed. I'm not working right now so I have the time, maybe I shouldn't be foisting this off on others. LOL.

Paul said...

I knew we had one smart dog in our Rowan. Way to go!

The reasserters know the pieces, they just put them together really funny.

Diane M. Roth said...

Ok, after 3 paragraphs of a transfiguration sermon (and by the way, I have to write a Bible study for Lent, too), here are a couple of questions: are they too easy?

1. Who was Abraham's other son?
2. Which gospel does not contain an account of the Last supper?
3. Which 4 women are referred to in the first chapter of Matthew, as part of Jesus' lineage?
ok, that was an excuse. I gotta get back to work now.

(I used to enjoy creating Bible Jeopardy games for my confirmation students)

Also, they used to make up quizzes for EACH OTHER to pass -- and those were really hard.

Paul said...

Great ones, Diane. I will work them in. Deal?

Enjoy your other work. (Note: the originally challenge was to any Lutherans, not necessarily you, dear friend.)

Paul said...

My friend Kathy e-mailed this comment:
Well, yes, you CAN guess many of the correct answers if the question is something like: What was Jesus' mother's name?
1. Paris Hilton
2. Ruth
3. Kitchen Aide
4. Mary

Now that the secret of the quiz is revealed, perhaps we should be more humble about our awesome performance.

Kirstin said...

Another 100%, here.

And (((((hugs))))) back at you.