Sunday, June 28, 2009

Heart thread - 06/28/2009 - Updated

It has been a while since I have posted one of these, not that there is a shortage of people and issues to pray for.

This came today from a fellow parishioner:
My granddaughter, Abby (age 23), was at a party last night where she was apparently (unbeknownst to her) given Ecstasy! She wound up in the ER, had no idea how she got there, didn't know where her 2 year old son K.... was, or where her car and personal belongings were. She was released from the ER and after jumping out of my daughter's car, dealing with the police, biting and scratching my daughter and kicking in her windshield, is now at a friend's home asleep.

As you can imagine, my daughter C. is a mess. Abby is sedated, the baby was found with a friend and is now under the care of another granddaughter, J.

I don't even know what to ask for in the area of prayer. I'll leave it up to you.
The same friend had this request in our mission prayer chain:
Here's the latest update about my friend Sandra B.... I'm afraid the prognosis at this time is pretty grim. They've removed a large tumor from her brain (last August) and a tumor from her lung (last October). Now it appears there are more tumors growing in the same location as the original location.
My friend Lolly is having surgery on July 6 so I ask prayers for her and her partner Fitz.

I ask your continued prayers for my sister-in-law Janet and also for her sister-in-law Jeanetta, the luminous lady pictured above (who sometimes visits here) and is battling cancer.

While Jane R is enjoying the beauty and creature comforts of less humid regions right now, she could use prayers for the important things she is working on. It's not just a pleasure trip!

Ongoing prayers for Jane's friend Deenie.
Our mutual friend writes: "So, dear friends, please keep praying for a peaceful passage, and for caring and justice on the part of all around her."
UPDATE from Jane at Facebook: RIP Deenie, friend, intellectual, worker for justice, kind to humans and animals, aunt and godmother to several in the younger generation. Yesterday afternoon, peacefully, at home. [I heard yesterday but wasn't able to post then.] "For I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me." (Matt. 25:35.) Angels sing her into paradise.
Continuing prayer for Ellie.

Kirstin has had her last injection of interferon, concluding a year's worth of therapy following the removal of the melanoma on her ear. I am in awe of the grace with which she has journeyed through fear, weakness, and obstacles. Her chronicles of this journey "down the rabbit hole" have moved and inspired many of us. So we offer thanksgiving, prayers for her adjustment to life without this drug in her system, and blessings and guidance for wherever her ministry takes her next.

Fran has asked prayers for sundry family challenges and for her sister-in-law's health.

Mimi got this word on Roseann from Sue:
I've just received a message from Roseann stating, she is on her way to the hospital, because blood cultures that were drawn were positive for bacteria. she will get IV antibiotics and she expects that to be done in the ER.
Via OCICBW, Bill, the Spotsyltuckian:
i haven't been posting as much lately since i've been diagnosed with lung cancer. i thought maybe you could put the word out amongst the faithful for prayer. it'd be much appreciated.
Also via OCICBW, Eileen, "the woman Eric Scully shacks up with:"
Unfortunately, it’s also now a month of pain as I 1) had a hysterectomy, 2) lost my mother, 3) and now Eric & I are waiting as his father is dying.
And JCF:
I just saw my friend Cath last week (while visiting California), who's struggling w/ metastasized lung cancer.
For the repose of the soul of the Lovely Mona's Uncle Virgil and for all the Dance Party Family. (Dear Mona, I too have an Uncle Virgil buried in Fresno. Hugs!)

Healing graces for Joel and much love for him and Margaret.

My nephew Jay and my sister Iva in their ongoing struggle with his newly-diagnosed diabetes. The great-grandnieces Olivia and Clara seem to be thriving.

I rejoice that Mad Priest is back on the job (linking us all together at OCICBW IS his job, isn't it?).

As we find ourselves at the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, I want to give thanks to the drag queens and others who fought back and said, "No more! We WILL NOT be treated this way." You, my brave sisters and brothers, paved the way for all of us.

May we all be inspired to stand up for human dignity, equal rights, and the universal claim to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

For the People of Iran in these troubling days.

For all who work to end war and build peace.

There are others about whom I have heard no recent word that I still carry in my heart.


O Father of mercies and God of all comfort, our only help in time of need: We humbly beseech thee to behold, visit, and relieve thy sick servants for whom our prayers are desired. Look upon them with the eyes of thy mercy; comfort them with a sense of thy goodness; preserve them from the temptations of the enemy; and give them patience under their affliction. In thy good time, restore them to health, and enable them to lead the residue of their life in thy fear, and to thy glory; and grant that finally they may dwell with thee in life everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us, unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.



--the BB

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Amen. Prayers for all.

susankay said...

Prayers for all -- especially (from me) for Bill. My husband had lung cancer -- it sucks.

And -- regarding Stonewall -- when civil rights meant Black Americans (but not yet Women or GLBT Americans) our song was: We shall not be moved -- like the tree that stands beside the water, we shall not be moved. -- And now it is all of us.

Say Amen.

Paul said...

It sucks very much, susankay, you are right. I have lost a number of friends and our stepmom to it.

We shall not be moved is a great song for us all.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Prayers ascending!