Tuesday, September 29, 2009

On mange bien ici


This evening a call came in at work just one minute before the call queue closed. I got it. The call lasted just over one hour. Sure, I billed the overtime, but ugh!

On my way to the parking lot I flipped open my cell phone and called Bill to see how many nibbles he got on the idea of seeing Oedipus next month as a group. It seems we now have a party of six for some Greek tragedy.

Then he asked if I would like to join him and his dad for supper. I accepted. Only fools turn down Bill's cooking.

Lovely to see them both.

We started by enjoying a Snow's Lake Vineyard 2007 Syrah from Rosenblum. Just lovely. Thank you, Steve!

First Course: a tomato and rice soup from the second volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Homegrown tomatoes. Lovely.

Second Course: Shrimp in Julia Child's Nantua sauce served over gemelli with broccoli florets. Bill described all the steps in making this sauce. OMG - in a commercial restaurant this should have cost an arm and a leg. And the portions were generous. The sauce was a form of liquid velvet. You knew it was rich and you didn't care; it was heaven.

Third Course: Salad of green leaf lettuce with scallions and small wedges of homegrown tomato with oil and vinegar.

Fourth Course: Apple slices flamed in bourbon and ladled over vanilla ice cream.

I had planned to come home and cook tonight. So glad my plans changed. Thank you, Bill!


I got my camera out of the car just for this rose in Bill's front garden.


It will be a long time before I know how to do night photography of the moon, but here is the moon and that little white speck below the cottonwood branch on the right is Jupiter, I believe.

That's my night. That's my story. And I'm sticking to it.

--the BB

4 comments:

PJ DeGenaro said...

Wide awake at 1:36 a.m. and now hungry as well, thank you.

I love both photographs.

Paul said...

PJ, I appreciate the visit but you really should be asleep and not reading me at this hour. May pleasant dreams and restorative slumbers be yours ASAP.

June Butler said...

Waxing gibbous moon
The words themselves a poem
Turning full moon soon


If you think you've seen these words before, you very likely have - on my blog - more than once. ;o)

Paul said...

Yes, Mimi, and enjoyed them each time. I did think of you as I looked at the moon this week.