Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It is too early to be sure

Furthermore, I am not experienced at discerning this...

But I think my peach trees have set fruit.

There are few insects in my neighborhood. Before you think, "How fortunate!" I prithee consider pollination. Not long ago I was in the back yard with a Swiffer duster going back and forth between trees trying to transfer pollen between species of peaches and plums. I don't know if that is what did the trick but I am excited.

Now if the fruit can survive late freezes, fierce winds, and other misadventures....

I live in hope.

A number of the plants in the yard have grown quite noticeably in the past few days. The flame seedless grapevine has put forth shoots, the Thompson seedless has many more leaves than it did on Saturday, the blaze climbing rose has filled out a lot, the trumpet vines have more new shoots each day. Two of the three lilac shrubs in the front yard have blossomed just since yesterday: one white and one purple.

I do love springtime.

--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

I love springtime, too Paul, but ours is all too short. We've had quite pleasant weather for a while, but now we need rain. When I walked this evening, the mosquitoes were taking the air, too. As long as I keep moving, I'm all right.

I hope your peaches make it, luv.

David said...

May it be an abundant and fruitful year for you dear Paul.
Who but a gay brother would think of cross-polinating with a Swifter-you can't beat gay ingenuity!

PS: Mimi we're in the first of 48 hours of long overdue rain here in Montreal and the gardens need it

Paul said...

May the earth drink deeply in Montreal, David. And may showers of blessing come your way.