Sunday, January 13, 2008

Returning stolen goods

Mad Priest drew my attention to the ABC's joining the voices that call for the return of the Lindisfarne Gospels to Northumbria. The Journal Live reports:
THE leader of the Church of England yesterday backed the campaign to bring the Lindisfarne Gospels “home”.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, said on a visit to Durham: “It would be wonderful if the Gospels were returned to their spiritual home, their historical home alongside St Cuthbert, who is buried in this cathedral.

“I appreciate there would be obstacles to overcome, and the conditions would have to be right, but I would love to see them here and I see no reason why the right conditions should not be found here to protect these manuscripts.”

His comments lend weight to a mounting campaign for the long-term loan of the Gospels to the North-East.

Incipit of Matthew's Gospel, Lindisfarne Gospels
Illumination by St Eadfrith of Lindisfarne

The Lindisfarne Gospels currently reside in the British Library in London. I saw them in 1997 while the British Library was still housed adjacent to the British Museum, just before moving to separate digs.

I have a rather strong personal devotion to St Cuthbert, having served as vicar of St Cuthbert's in Oakland for a decade. But it is more than that. I have sensed his presence and relied on his support and, sometimes, direction. So this is an emotional issue for me.

This is one time I can agree with the Grand Tufti. He may have only been making nice on the day that Durham University gave him an honorary doctorate but I join him in saying the Gospels should be with Cuthbert.
Tomb of Saint Cuthbert, Durham Cathedral

Lapinbizarre opines that they should go to Lindisfarne and that the Stonyhurst Gospel that was actually buried with Cuthbert should be relinquished by the Roman Catholics and returned too, in the course of which he implies that this may be great silliness. [See comments at Maddy's.]

Holy Cuthbert, pray for us.
Holy Eadfrith, pray for us.
All ye saints of the Holy Island, pray for us.

--the BB

8 comments:

June Butler said...

Is St Cuthbert's tomb in the floor, or behind the screen?

The Gospels belong in the North. Durham Cathedral should be capable of arranging for proper care.

See how the ABC articulated his opinion clearly? He can do it, when he wants to. It comes out mush, when he doesn't want to.

Kirstin said...

That illumination is gorgeous.

Fran said...

To the rightful places please! For all documents.

I saw the Lindisfarne Gospels a long time ago on one of my first trips to London.

Dare I tell you that on a unrelated target, due to a random link to me from Crooks & Liars, I got a ton of hits today. Among them a Sudan and some other gems I now forget.

I happily share my flags with you but it just doesn't work that way, does it?

My prize was an early Burkina Faso.

Paul said...

Mimi, the answer to your question on the tomb is: both. But not from the perspective of the photo.

His tomb lies under a plain greenish marble slab immediately behind the prie-dieu in the photo, with "Cuthbertus" incised in it. The screen you see behind that is the back side of the screen behind the high altar in the cathedral, so it is, from the nave or choir perspective "behind" the screen.

It is always easier to be clear when the stakes are lower.

Lively discussion on the Lindisfarne Gospels over at OCICBW. I concede to Lapinbizarre that very careful preservation of the Gospels is a first priority. But I would like to see that done at Durham.

Paul said...

Fran, we must be in the same part of the alphabet. You get Burkina Faso and I get Bulgaria! Hooray for both of us. C&L, eh? You are moving in hot company, girlfriend. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Leave them in London. More people will have access to them. Were they ever at Durham? Putting them back on Lindisfarne would be nice and sentimental. Bet a lot less people would have the chance to see them. They belong to the nation, not to St. Cuthbert, who doesn't need them anymore.

Fran said...

Oh pul-leeze! It was a generous act of one of the moderators there. She is our "blog mother" for some of us in my circle.

Anyway my stats and flags have jumped sky high for two days.

Yet what makes me happiest? My 10-12 visitors at day at my other blog. Deep sigh.

June Butler said...

Fran, it appears that my email is not cleared to read your other blog. You have sent me invitations, but, as of now, I can't get there.