Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Brother Martin

Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms
by Anton von Werner (source)

This one is going out for all my Lutheran sisters and brothers.

I forgot to post anything on Martin Luther's feast yesterday. So here is a belated nod.

Martin Luther
(November 10, 1483–February 18, 1546)

O God, our refuge and our strength, who raised up your servant Martin Luther to reform and renew your Church in the light of your word: Defend and purify the Church in our own day and grant that, through faith, we may boldly proclaim the riches of your grace, which you have made known in Jesus Christ our Savior, who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever.
--the BB

4 comments:

Jane R said...

Thank you, Paul. I almost forgot his feast!

Posted a sermon about him to compensate.

My favorite factoid about the Luther family is that Katie Luther (aka Katarina von Bora) brewed beer. My students always love that one.

Paul said...

Now THAT I didn't know. Here's to the brewers of the world.

Diane M. Roth said...

thank you! I'm Lutheran and it went by me! If I have time tomorrow, though, I'll put links to these on my blog. (shouldn't be so hard, I know, but...)

and oh Jane, I like the one about Katie's beer too. actually, there's a conservative Lutheran blogger who named hers: Katie's Beer.

Paul said...

Diane, I had you specifically in mind when I posted this.