Sunday, February 17, 2008

Malaysia brings us to 60 flags

Greetings to today's visitor from Malaysia. A warm welcome to this site.

Fran will appreciate my dilemma here. Although I have tales to tell about this or that real, or wishful or imaginary, link I may have with different countries of the world, there comes a time when I have nothing. I have a sense that Fran has a tale about everywhere on earth but I am sure there are one or two remote spots she has yet to visit.

Today's site visit is my first link with Malaysia. It is geopolitically intriguing that we have a nation consisting of two parts separated by the South China Sea, one attached to the southern tip Thailand and the other sharing an island with Indonesia.

Given the spiritual focus of this blog, here is a note on religion in Malaysia (from Wikipedia):
Malaysia is a multi-religious society and Islam is the official religion. According to the Population and Housing Census 2000 figures, approximately 60.3 percent of the population practiced Islam; 19.2 percent Buddhism; 9.1 percent Christianity; and 6.3 percent Hinduism. The remaining 5 percent was accounted for by other faiths, including Animism, Shamanism, Sikhism, Bahá'í, Taoism, Confucianism, and other traditional Chinese religions.


Map courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Welcome, Malaysian guest!
--the BB

1 comment:

Fran said...

Very funny you! There are many flags that you have posted for which I do not have a story. It is just my verbosity when I do have one overrides it all.

Malaysia. Never been there. However I do have a friend who is living there and I could go visit. She works for the State Department and her time there will end this summer I believe, so unlikely that I will go.

Ooops. What about that whole verbose thing?

Shutting up.

Now.