Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My plans may change - UPDATE: they have: UPDATED AGAIN

For this weekend, that is. My plan for the road trip is too high a priority. I may fly out of NOLA earlier and not work through the weekend. Just in case Gustav does a number and precludes flying out on Tuesday afternoon as scheduled.

Mimi has a good post on this issue. She also kindly called to inquire after me. It's comforting when the locals look after the newbies.

It's discernment time. Prayers and kind thoughts appreciated. I am not afraid of a hurricane but I don't wnat my trip jeopardized.

I rather think we should all be praying for those who have fewer options than I do.

UPDATE:
I looked at the Weather Underground 5-day forecast this morning. It has gotten more dire since last night - upgrading Gustav to a Category 3 hurricane by the time it hits land again - somewhere in the NOLA vicinity.


I am calling our travel department this morning to change my reservation back from Tuesday afternoon to Sunday morning, or if that is not possible sometime sooner.

Thanks for the encouragement to be sensible.

Gustav nears Jamaica as New Orleans keeps watch
The Associated Press - 1 hour ago
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Tropical Storm Gustav was heading toward Jamaica early Thursday while many miles away, residents in the New Orleans area watched it with a nervous eye.
Video: New Orleans Makes Evacuation Plan As Storm Nears AssociatedPress
Hurricane Gustav May Threaten Gulf Coast Lex 18

Gustav Kills 23 In Haiti, DR, New Orleans Prepares
Central Florida News 13|, FL - 1 hour ago
MIAMI -- Gustav stalled offshore Wednesday after landslides and flooding killed 23 people in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Oil workers began leaving ...

Let us pray for those who lost their lives in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

UPDATE 2 [6:30 PM Thursday]:
I am booked to fly home tomorrow (Friday), leaving NOLA at 2:35 PM, at which time Gustav should still be south of Cuba. My coworkers who remain in NOLA at the moment are preparing to drive en masse to Birmingham where apartments are reserved.

While I lose a nice chunk of income I gain lots of peace of mind, preserve my travel plans, and have more time to prepare for the trip. Given the list of things I needed to do on Wednesday, this is bliss. Tonight I do laundry, eat or toss everything perishable, and prepare to totally vacate the apartment when I drive to work tomorrow morning.

Again, I ask your continuing prayers for those all along the path of storms like this, especially those for whom this poses grave challenges and hardships.

Thanks for y'all's prayers and encouragement.

Peace,

--the BB

10 comments:

susan s. said...

Yes, leave sooner rather than later! I am praying.

FranIAm said...

What Susan S. - said. Many prayers for you and for all.

I think you have to do what you must- that you note that others may not have choices, God bless you for that.

Prayers for those people, prayers for all.

susankay said...

Paul -- YES! get the heck out of there early -- Molly the WonderDog says she wants you safe and dry!

Grandmère Mimi said...

Paul, as I said last night, I believe you should go while you can. I pray you can change your flight to a convenient time.

Actually, the map looks a little more encouraging for New Orleans and even for us, as the projected path has moved to the west. But it's still too early, and things could change.

I did not know about the loss of life in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. I pray for them and for safety for all those threatened by the storm.

susankay said...

Yay, Paul -- tomorrow is way better than Sunday. (Molly approves, too)

Paul said...

I am sure Molly's doggy prayers shaped the development of travel plans. Southwest said there was a good chance all Saturday flights would be canceled and strongly encouraged getting out of town Friday, so that's what Maggie, Belle, and I are doing. The girls don't want to leave but they haven't seen their siblings in four months. (OK, I haven't seen mine in two years.)

susan s. said...

My friend from NOLA who now lives in Austin said that info says landfall at the Atchafalaya Basin. I did not know about that place until now. I have found it on the map. Of course it would be really nice if it wore itself out before it gets there.

it's margaret said...

Paul --travel safely. And we will continue to pray for all those affected...and for those who mourn.

Grandmère Mimi said...

It's no longer looking better for me. I spoke too soon. We'll head out Saturday morning.

However, I'm great-hearted, Paul, I'm glad you're getting out, far, far away.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Stay safe, Paul, and have a good road trip.