Thursday, January 01, 2009

4221 - updated (2x)



Latest Coalition Fatalities

12/31/08 MNF:
Soldier dies from wounds
A U.S. Soldier died, Dec. 31, in Balad, Iraq from injuries sustained during combat operations, Dec. 30. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense.

12/31/08 MNF:
U.S. Soldier killed by indirect fire
A Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldier died from wounds sustained during a mortar attack in Baghdad Dec. 31. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense.

UPDATE:
Latest Coalition Fatalities

01/05/09
DoD Identifies Army Casualty

photo via IGTNT
Pfc. Christopher W. Lotter, 20, of Chester Heights, Pa., died Dec. 31, 2008, in Balad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when he was shot by enemy forces in Tikrit. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team...

1/02/09
DoD Identifies Army Casualty
Pfc. Benjamin B. Tollefson, 22, of Concord, Calif., died Dec. 31 in Balad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with indirect fire in Ghazaliya. Tollefson was assigned to the Special Troops Battalion, 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

4 comments:

The Cunning Runt said...

How our jaws would drop and our hearts implode if these figures were to portray the real loss of life in this hell of our own making.

I can't thank you enough for your consistent focus on this mess.

Paul said...

Your encouragement helps me do it. I often sigh as I start yet one more post of this sort.

susan s. said...

On a hill above the Lafayette Bart Station(I think.. it could be Orinda) there is a cross for every US soldier killed in Iraq. The number is higher than yours. Do your wait for some sort of confirmation? Or maybe their count includes Afganistan. I don't know, but it is an arresting sight, even if we don't know their names. There were some folks who objected and tried to have it removed because "it didn't support the troops..." but the crosses are on private land and they can't make them take them down. I only go out that way on the way to the dentist, so every time I see it the scene is even more arresting to me. He always has a sign with the number on it. As CR says, this is not the portrait of the real loss of life...but it makes me more aware, even if I don't comment on these numbers often. Thanks, Paul.

Paul said...

Thanks for reminding me of that, Susan S. I don't recall when it started but it was before I moved away. It is hard for me to imagine a more stupid controversy. When we remember the dead we honor the fallen fellows of those who serve - it no way dishonors the troops or fails to support them.

:rolls eyes:

I take the totals for Iraq and Afghanistan from here and here.