Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Well shut my mouth


My slave-owning (good God, that is painful to write), tobacco and hemp growing great-great-grandfather Judge George Rhoades sympathized with the South during the recent unpleasantness (no, not the Anglican squabbles, the REAL unpleasantness--besides, old George was a pillar of the Baptist Church). He was a judge in Saline County, Missouri. I know about his southern sympathies because somewhere among my effects is his son's Bible in which may be found Judge Rhoades' obituary, which mentions them. Having googled my ancestor, I just learned the details about crops and the manner (i.e., slavery) of cultivating them.

Though I am fond of grits (and of my little Texas bluebonnet, Miss Amber), I have never considered myself anything but a Yankee.

I took the test.

The Yankee or Dixie? Quiz (for your entertainment, tittilation, or horror).

My score: 57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Where have I gone wrong, y'all? I swear, I spit out sweet tea the second it hits my lips!

(h/t to Fr. Bill for the quiz and to eager genealogists for info on Judge Rhoades)
--the BB

6 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

According to the test, I am 45% Yankee.
I lived on the island of Okinawa until I was 16 and then spent the rest of my time in the SF Bay Area, until I moved to Panama.
I guess that explains it. Maybe. I don't know.

The Lovely Mona says I am Japanese inside, but people here claim I'm West Indian!

John Kater calls me the "Generic Ethnic."

Jane R said...

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, how DID I end up in Dixie? 60%, "barely in Dixie." Nobody in my family is from the South. I do live here and I tend to be a bit of a chameleon, but still. I was raised in South PARIS, for crying out loud. Not Texas, France.

On the language quiz that is somewhere on the 'net (and much more accurate) I score heavy on Yankee New Englad and heavy on Standard Broadcast American or whatever they called it.

Hey how about them BoSox?

Paul said...

Padrecito, me parece que eres lo que mi mamacita llamabe "Heinz 57." Digo que tengo alma latina en cuerpo sueco.

Paul said...

"llamaba"

Can't read the fine type tonight; must be getting blind.

johnieb said...

Only 79% Southern?

Quelle horreur! Fugiddaboudit!

Paul said...

Well, johnieb, I don't know where your people hail from but you must have been using Southern charm (or witchcraft) because I read rumors of you doing some kissing earlier in the week.

Me scoring on the Dixie side of 50% came as a surprise in spite of my common use of y'all as the plural of you.

My daddy's people are from Sweden, so any accent I picked up there was not only Northern, it was Nordic.