Saturday, January 26, 2008

And the Ukrainian team makes 40!


I have posted these before but it seems an appropriate moment to share once more these pysanky that I made last spring. The one in the upper left is in the parlor that serves as my home chapel; the others are in various homes.

Welcome to the Ukrainian visitor who brings our flag collection up to forty. Nice to have you here.

Yes, I realize that I should have put the graphic in Ukrainian instead of Russian but I don't have a Ukrainian dictionary sitting next to the computer and I do have a Russian one. My apologies for not being precise this time around.

Welcome to all the citizens of the world.

Update: Fran, if you and Mark can send me the proper Ukrainian for "Hello" or "Welcome," I will be more than happy to do it right. We're tryin' here, folks.
--the BB

4 comments:

Fran said...

I believe that you have seen my surname, which scoffs at vowels and believes that the letter y can count as such.

My husband's parents came here via Germany from Ukraine, which BTW, requires no The any longer. It apparently ticks many Ukrainians off in fact. What can I say, I only married into it!

Mark's parents came here in the early 50's, after having spent the prior 18 years or so in some Ukrainian ghetto in Germany and also in work camps. My husband's first language was Ukrainian.

As we know, language is organic and alive (golly is it? that is swell!). When Mark and his sister went to visit Ukraine in 1996, they realized that the only people who understood them or who they could understand, were those over 70!

As you can imagine, the language that the parents took with them and preserved in small communities in Germany and in the US was frozen in time, not really influenced as much by the Russian language yet either.

And thus ends another long FranIam comment with a story. Feel free to tell me to STHU any time!

I do try to self manage, but basically stink at it!!!

Paul said...

Thanks, Fran. I waffled on the "the" and evidently showed my age by putting it in. This gives me the chance to correct it, which I have just done!

Fran said...

Oh dear, I am hardly the "the" police. In fact it is an error I make frequently... and am corrected on just as often.

I am just passing that on!!!

Paul said...

I'm glad you passed it on. How else am I to learn?