Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's January; let's head south!

Right at this moment I am on the verge of shivering, even as I hear the fans spreading heat from the furnace about the upstairs rooms. And I just confessed to my fondness of lying in the sun.

So how perfect is it that today's latest visitors are Jamaica and México? I am so ready to hit the beaches! I have plenty of time. Of course, being unemployed also implies that I don't have plenty of money. So I remain where I am and journey in my mind.

My physical flag collections includes both these countries. I have a small Jamaican flag and a large Mexican one.

My visits to México have been limited in geographic scope. Twice we went to Puerto Vallarta, vacations designed strictly for unwinding--pretending we were vegetables on the solar grill. Baste me, turn me over now and again.... And the finest, freshest Piña Coladas on earth. Yum. Getting home with art and furniture on one of those trips would be a narration for its own blog post. Then there have been several trips to the Distrito Federal and Mexico City. On a couple of those I/we visited Cuernavaca and Taxco. And one trip involved a week living with friends in a small pueblo outside Colima by the name of Suchitlán. I love México and the Mexican people. ¡Ojalá que yo pueda visitar allí muchas veces más!

Welcome to my mosaic of a neighborhood. Please come again and leave comments.
--the BB

1 comment:

Fran said...

Lovely! I have never been to Jamaica, but always have wanted to go... Not to a big resort, but someplace more rustic. One day, one day.

Mexico- I love the idea of hearing about how your art and furniture got home!

I have been to Ciudad Juarez twice, when I was in El Paso on business. One time it was with a Juarez native who took me out to dinner at a most sublime establishment, amazing. My two hour trip over on my own...not so amazing.

Once I went to Puebla (one of the best places on earth in my mind), Cuernavaca (another possible blog post) and Taxco. Similar to your weekend!

Mexico is an amazing country and one I long to return to.

So - about that furniture and art. Do tell please!