Wednesday, January 23, 2008

For our morning entertainment

“Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
And foolish notion”
--Robert Burns

My friend Kathy wrote this morning, saying:
I really enjoying reading your blog first thing every morning. I love the picture of you I have in mind as I read. Is it a mild-mannered priest piously typing away on his computer? No, it's a fiery warrior, standing atop his chair, one foot poised beside his keyboard, his armor gleaming in the morning sunlight, his sword of truth and justice held high!
I roared with laughter at this mental image, but not as much as when she next sent me this:

How I picture you...


Wow. I have a lot to live up to now.

Thought y'all might enjoy the giggle.

Speaking of giggles...

You know how there are moments when something triggers hysterical laughter totally out of proportion, but you just can't stop laughing? Tears stream down your cheeks, you keep doubling over with wild whoops, and, for reasons probably unknown to yourself, all manner of tension is discharged.

I had one of those in the museum in Chartres. Some friends and I had taken the train out of Paris to visit Chartres Cathedral. While there we had lunch in a nearby restaurant and we toured the nearby museum. We saw a suit of armor up close and personal. It was tiny. Now, granted, I am of the hugeous Viking variety, but even the young women in our group towered over the suit of armor. This provided an entirely new image of the medieval knight in shining armor. They must have been, by modern standards, pipsqueaks. Or, at least, this one was.

It just hit me somehow and I became hysterical. The museum guard was concerned, though I doubt I seemed to pose a danger. Unless he feared this madman might run amok.

So I have a counter-image to keep me humble after Kathy's high praise. I know that I am really quite silly.

I do, however, plan to continue battling lies and oppression.
--the BB

4 comments:

Kirstin said...

[huge grin]

And again, you make my morning. :-)

Fran said...

I shall now think of you as a rather tall shining knight of all blogdom!

And you bring memories of Chartres to me. I had hoped against all hope that we might have Malcolm Miller as our guide.

And we did. It made an extraordinary visit even more so.

You silly knight you! Keeping lies, oppression, torture and despair away. Peace be to you good sir!

June Butler said...

Have you ever seen Henry XIII's several suits of armor, sized to fit as he grew in girth? As he grew - and grew - and grew.

You are my shining knight, Paul. One of my knights, anyway.

Are those feet of clay in that image of you? Oh no! Say it's not so!

Paul said...

Clay would be an upgrade, Mimi. Sorry to break the news to you.

No, I haven't seen Henry's armor. I would rather think of him as Eric Bana in the new movie version with the two sisters than as he became.