Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another Sunday romp

Maggie: Want to check out the museum, Sis?
Belle: And look at stuff by dead two-leggeds? Let's play in the park instead.
Maggie: City Park, here we come!

[Old Dad reports that after Miss Yvette and I finished our tour of all three floors of the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) and the Sculpture Garden, the girls were back in the car playing canasta and wondering what took us so long. The smug grins on their faces assured me they wasted no time worrying about the old folks and had themselves a good time.]

The living two-leggeds opted for the museum.

This was following brunch at the Palace Cafe - blue cheese salad with arugula, peach slices, etc. and a crabmeat quiche for me, followed by white chocolate bread pudding - and a very short walk into the Vieux Carré.



We got your BBW - Big Beautiful Woman - waiting for ya, bud.

This was related to the current special exhibit: The Baroque World of Fernando Botero, a Colombian artist. His work draws on classical sources from the Italian Renaissance and Spanish masters to Picasso and other moderns, yet he has interesting proportions and postures that carry an element of threat to them. He also did many works depicting the horrors of Abu Ghraib, though I did not shell out the $35 for that catalogue. (Why the hell do spell check programs want to chop the "-ue" off dialogue and catalogue? Harrumph!)

Check out The Musicians or Man With Dog and an Abu Ghraib painting.

We also have your nude and nearly nude men for you. [Based less on these huge urns and more on the sculpture garden and the Gentlemen Callers rooms with the work of Paul Cadmus and others, I would conclude that NOLA likes her naked men.]

Whatever you want, it's the Big Easy. We got it.

More later.
--the BB

3 comments:

Jane R said...

The girls will not be happy that you photographed them from the back. We ladies do not like this. LOL. Though we always appreciate the tribute to BBW!

June Butler said...

Oh, yes, I've been procrastinating about getting in to see the Botero exhibit, but I've got to get a move on and actually DO it.

Thanks for the pictures, Paul. Maybe they will light a fire under me and get me going.

Paul said...

It's not my usual approach, but I think all my kids have cute butts so I didn't give it too much thought.