Sunday, April 25, 2010

Heart thread - 04/24/2010 - updated


Let us pray for the Gathering of Nations, the great annual powwow held in Albuquerque this weekend. May the Great Spirit bless the First Nations, preserve their heritage, and bring healing to the People.

For those killed, injured, or displace by the tornado that struck in Mississippi. For all who mourn and all who now face the task of rebuilding their lives.

For those slain in the genocide of 1915. For their descendants and relatives throughout the Armenian diaspora who remember and mourn.

For Leonardo Ricardo's continued healing. He reports chez Mimi:
Thanks Mimi, the eye operation appears (yes, even I can see the progress) to be healing properly...although I can see almost 20/40 on the test for the operated eye the next day (with my all new lense from Texas implanted and silicon removed) there is still cloudyness (like a steam bath)...I still use my right eye mostly and need to use drops and pills on the leftie as it comes into better focus during the next weeks...I´m thankful for all of you that watched over me and wished me well with your kind thoughts and prayers.
For nuns who minister faithfully and put up with crap. Thanks for the wonderful post, Elizabeth.

For all churches celebrating St Mark the Evangelist. I especially remember St Mark's, Berkeley, the parish that sponsored me for ordination, and St Mark's, Richmond, where Margaret serves.

A Prayer of Black Elk
Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and you are older than all need, older than all prayer.

All things belong to you -- the two-legged, the four-legged, the wings of the air, and all green things that live.

You have set the powers of the four quarters of the earth to cross each other. You have made me cross the good road and road of difficulties, and where they cross, the place is holy. Day in, day out, forevermore, you are the life of things.

Hey! Lean to hear my feeble voice. At the center of the sacred hoop You have said that I should make the tree to bloom. With tears running, O Great Spirit, my Grandfather, With running eyes I must say The tree has never bloomed.

Here I stand, and the tree is withered. Again, I recall the great vision you gave me.

It may be that some little root of the sacred tree still lives. Nourish it then That it may leaf And bloom And fill with singing birds!

Hear me, that the people may once again Find the good road And the shielding tree.

UPDATE:
And prayers for JimB's swift recovery from leg surgery. He reported today: "Woke way too stiff and painful to make mass."

Mitakuye Oyasin. (For all my relations.)

--the BB

2 comments:

it's margaret said...

I have participated in ceremony with Black Elk's grandson... who adopted my brother....

I love this prayer. thank you.

Paul said...

After studying Native American ritual with Peter Brokenleg, I have been strongly influence by Lakota spirituality. Black Elk is one of the saints and I honor him.

Today we blessed the garden, offering tobacco and kinnick kinnick to the seven directions and scattering it about in thanksgiving for all Ina Maka gives us, smudging the yard and each other with sage, and sprinkling holy water. For All My Relations (in Lakota) was the "Amen."