Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pavlovsk - part 1

I suspect that, not being able to afford a vacation this year, I am taking one in my memories and inviting you, gentle readers, to do a bit of mind-travel with me. For links regarding Pavlovsk, please check the post below: Daroga na Pushkin.

Catherine II had the palace built for her son, Paul I, and his widow, Maria Feodorovna, lived there following his death. The Scottish architect Charles Cameron developed the Grand Palace and the English park surrounding it.

Here you can see us setting out on a buggy ride after the palace tour. I am putting this shot first because it provides a glimpse of the palace itself.
I could not resist lots of shots of ceilings, since their detail and variety are so stunning. Also, given the press of bodies as we progressed through the palace, between other tour groups, photos at eye level would often just yield a sea of bobbing heads. This is the room to the left of the entrance. Well, the ceiling thereof.
And this is a cool rotunda shot that merits--hey, a guy can brag now and again-- viewing in detail; please click on it. I love how the light stikes the gold leaf.
Russians do know how to do malachite.
Still looking up.
More in the next post. I am leery of trying to upload too many photos at once.

No comments: