Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Le jardin - the yard update

Photo of my back yard taken about 15 minutes ago, contrast slightly enhanced

I think this is a beautiful time of the year. My yard, however, is not pretty at this season. I have ripped out the summer plantings, nothing is flowering at the moment, most leaves have fallen, some have frozen yet still hang dejected. It is a challenge to spend the time there that I should.

This afternoon, while the sun was shining brightly and it was a warm as NM gets this time of year, I sprayed the fruit trees and roses with dormant oil and watered everything. One cannot rely on rain to provide enough, though I don't have to water often.

I still need to plant bulbs for spring. I will wait a bit longer before pruning. My fruit trees don't need much, they were only saplings last year, but I want to eliminate crossing branches and cluttered centers. The lone tree in the front yard needs pruning too.

My dad grew up on a farm and I learned to prune trees from him. I'm not great at it but I can keep a tree looking better, with air and light for health. Since the fruit trees are semi-dwarf to start with and this is not some luxuriant Mediterranean climate, I don't think they are going to rush into hugeness. I will be sure they don't get too large but that challenge is some years away. Pruning is one of the things I loved when we lived in El Cerrito. There were bay trees (aka California laurel) and canyon live oaks, both natives, plus a Japanese maple, a crabapple, and a Myers lemon.

It will be interesting to see how my apple, peaches, cherries, and plums do this coming year. I shall hope for the best.
--the BB

3 comments:

Kirstin said...

That'll be nice when it grows. :-)

Diane M. Roth said...

I am not a good gardener, but I am hopeful.

Paul said...

Gardeners and parents live by hope, n'est-ce pas?

I am a rather mediocre one. It was my ex who made things flourish.