Sunday, January 06, 2008

George McGovern weighs in


George McGovern writes in today's Washington Post that "Nixon was bad. These guys are worse." He sets out his sense that, regardless of political feasibility of conviction, impeachment "is the rightful course for an American patriot."
As former representative Elizabeth Holtzman, who played a key role in the Nixon impeachment proceedings, wrote two years ago, "it wasn't until the most recent revelations that President Bush directed the wiretapping of hundreds, possibly thousands, of Americans, in violation of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) -- and argued that, as Commander in Chief, he had the right in the interests of national security to override our country's laws -- that I felt the same sinking feeling in my stomach as I did during Watergate. . . . A President, any President, who maintains that he is above the law -- and repeatedly violates the law -- thereby commits high crimes and misdemeanors."

I believe we have a chance to heal the wounds the nation has suffered in the opening decade of the 21st century. This recovery may take a generation and will depend on the election of a series of rational presidents and Congresses. At age 85, I won't be around to witness the completion of the difficult rebuilding of our sorely damaged country, but I'd like to hold on long enough to see the healing begin. [emphasis mine]

Just thought I'd pass it on. You can read it all here.
--the BB

2 comments:

June Butler said...

I was glued to the TV during the Watergate Committee hearings. Seriously, I had no other life while they were on. I wasn't working at the time, and housekeeping and cooking were squeezed in between the lunch recess and after the hearings ended for the day. I remember Elizabeth Holtzman. It seems we had a few statesmen and stateswomen back then, even among the Republicans. "What did the president know, and when did he know it?" from Sen. Howard Baker of Tennessee. I'll never forget that. Oh, and there was Sam Ervin, of the constantly moving eyebrows.

Bush has gone well beyond Nixon in grounds for impeachment, but there will be no impeachment.

Paul said...

I am not sanguine about impeachment but I will continue advocating for it. If we don't at least begin hearings now we may never be able to again.

I do want to thrash Congress soundly.