Sunday, January 06, 2008

Memory eternal

A week ago my Aunt Ruby V. Rosander was received into the everlasting arms. This afternoon my brother-in-law sent me a scan of her obituary.
For the non-Central Valley folk reading this, rolling trays is what you do with trays of raisins drying in the sun.

Aunt Ruby was the eldest daughter, as my father was the eldest son. They remembered the hard times when resources were few and life was tough. Her memories were much darker than those of Aunt May, who is the baby of the family (as am I). Things had improved over time. Comments above about farm hospitality were true and I remember having coffee in her kitchen.

["Coffee" to Swedes is like "tea" for the Brits. It's what you do at four in the afternoon. I never drank coffee because I don't like the taste of it, but I had coffee in the larger sense. Grandmother and my aunts knew how to bake!]

Grandpa's name was Victor and so my dad was Paul Victor and Ruby was Ruby Victoria. It sounds like a very grand name and, in truth, I rather think that Aunt Ruby was an empress on the farm.

May she rest in peace and rise with Christ in glory.
--the BB

7 comments:

susan s. said...

My prayers for you and Aunt Ruby ascend.

I know what farm work was like. It was hard(not that I had to do much of it). My mother and your Aunt Ruby were alike in many ways. Hard workers who never shirked their duties. Mother did the taxes because she was the 'educated' one in the marriage! There were no raisins to roll in Tennessee, but hoeing tobacco was. It is all work, no matter the chore!

Now they have gone to their reward, which is great in Heaven.

Paul said...

Amen. And thank you.

June Butler said...

May she rest in peace and rise with Christ in glory.

Amen. She sounds like quite a lady. My mother was born in 1913, but she did not make it to the age of your aunt. My mother was Pearl.

Kirstin said...

The peace of Christ be with her, and with all who love her.

Paul said...

I love "old-fashioned" names. Pearl is a lovely name.

The aunts on my father's side had intriguing names. Ruby Victoria (a gemstone), Violet Linnaea (two flowers), Hazel Katherine (a tree + Grandmother's middle name), May LaRose (a month and another flower). Amongst the boys: Paul Victor, Lloyd Herbert (for Herbert Lloyd), and John Calvin (from the Church of Sweden to the Swedish Baptist Church here).

Kirstin said...

My grandmother was Virginia Adelaide. Her sister, Hazel Mace.

I once met a three-year-old Maximilian. Yes, his mother called him all four syllables.

Anonymous said...

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.