Sunday, September 23, 2007

Holy River Rhone, say it ain't so!

We all know these quizzes are silly. And fun. So we still take them.

Padre Mickey led me astray. OK, I led my own silly self astray but his silly blog (which I adore) was the occasion of sin.

You Are Chardonnay

Fresh, spirited, and classic - you have many facets to your personality.
You can be sweet and light. Or deep and complex.
You have a little bit of something to offer everyone... no wonder you're so popular.
Approachable and never smug, you are easy to get to know (and love!).

Deep down you are: Dependable and modest

Your partying style: Understated and polite

Your company is enjoyed best with: Cold or wild meat



Let me set the record straight. I am a red wine guy. I love Rhône reds. Given the old "red or white?" option I choose red about 97% of the time. Doesn't matter what I'm eating.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy whites paired with good food. (And if you're eating bad food, might as well drink plonk, non?). But I'll opt for red. (Similarly, I will drink any diet cola, but will opt for Diet Pepsi--there's a free plug for something the stock price of which I singlehandedly support.)

Right now I am sipping a lovely Rosenblum 2005 Appelation Series North Coast Zinfandel, generously sent to me by my friend Steve Seagren, Jr. Rosenblum does wonderful things with California grapes and they make oodles of Zins, most of them identified by specific vineyard. Slurpalicious! (Another plug!) They are based in Alameda, California, and I have enjoyed visiting the winery and their incredible tasting parties.

So, how the hell did I wind up called a fracking Chardonnay? Sigh. I try so hard not to be white, Swedish genes notwithstanding. [I grant you, the blather about the Chardonnay personality does have some applicability. I think. But we are not the best judges of ourselves.]

I say, drink whatever you like. To life! To health! To the company of loving and interesting people!
--the BB

6 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

Padre Mickey led me astray.
I gotta warn ya, pal; my mother warned all my friends in my early twenties that I was a bad influence.
I'm afraid it's still true!

Paul said...

I'm glad to hear it's still true!

Jane R said...

Oh, gross, I'm Chardonnay too! How did someone who answered that she was a wine snob get tagged with that? I'm with you on reds (though a good French --Loire or Alsatian-- or Northern Italian white is fine).

I actually drink a lot of cheapo wines but I pick them carefully. Most recent one was a Concha y Toro Xplorador Malbec (from Argentina) 2005. I think it cost me all of $5, maybe $6, at the local supermarket.

And they last me a while since I live alone and don't drink much and have one of those nice VacuVin thingies so the wine will be vacuum-sealed and won't go bad.

Jane R said...

P.S. I say being led astray by Padre Mickey is probably one of the best possible astrays.

Paul said...

At least we can be deep and complex and are easy to get to know (and love). That is some consolation.

I tend to buy bargain wines too. I am blessed with my buddy Steve and wonderful hosts like Bill and his brother who serve nice stuff.

Paul said...

Heavens, yes. El padrecito is a tempter on the side of angels, joining the Holy Spirit in luring us back to paradise... and having all sorts of fun along the way!

I hope the pressure doesn't become too much but I rather rely on him for uplift.