Monday, September 24, 2007

My Little Prairie Flower online

Texas Bluebonnet via Kim's Place
The photographer writes:
"This is part of a picture I entered
in Big Kev's 2003 Texas Bluebonnet Challenge. "


Well, the Gratuitous Bluebonnet Blogging is because my friend and colleague, Amber Sturgess, whom I call "my little bluebonnet" because she's from Texas, had an article on Bede Griffiths and prayer published at The Bede Griffith's Trust website.

The article is titled "All are Called to Contemplative Prayer." Click on "article" above to read it all.

A most practical paragraph within the article:
Bede’s method of contemplative prayer draws from the Benedictine and Yogic traditions and consists of a relaxing comfortable posture, the silent repetition of a sacred mantra, a reliance on the grace of God, and the support of a spiritual guide or community. He emphasized the necessity of using a sacred mantra, like the name “Jesus” or “God,” because when we meditate we enter into the unconscious part of ourselves where we encounter our shadow, the repressed emotions and desires, and the collective unconscious, the sufferings and joys of all humanity. The sacred mantra acts as a life line to the risen Christ, the one who has already descended into the depths of the unconscious and has overcome these forces of darkness. When we meditate all of our wounds are opened up and exposed to the grace of God for healing which is why Fr. Bede cautioned against practicing meditation alone without the greater support of more experienced practitioners.
Amber is one of those folks with the gift of transcending boundaries while simultaneously knowing her roots. I am very grateful for sharing journeys with her, including her journey into priesthood.. (In spite of the anti-clericalism in the post that is going to follow, I really do cherish most of my colleagues.) She is currently the long-term interim vicar at St George's, Antioch, California. With her in California and me in New Mexico, I just miss the hell out of her. She is one of three people with whom I do not censor myself, and if I say more it will go to her head.

Keep your feet on the ground, girlfriend, you know how I feel about clergy who get puffed up and proud!

Mother Amber at St Cuthbert's, Oakland
[The preceding is a big old public cyberhug.]
--the BB

1 comment:

Jane R said...

Lovely. Tell her congrats and warm greetings from me. Nice bluebonnet, too :-).

Two foodie posts waiting for you chez moi (cyber-chez cyber-moi, that is).