Friday, September 28, 2007

If I were a bird

If I were a bird
and able to fly afar,
I would like to be a white dove
to guide the people to freedom.
If I were a cloud in the sky,
I would shelter and bring rains
to the rice field.
If I were a grain of sand
I would throw myself down
to make a path for the people.
I will sacrifice my life
for the suffering people.
I would sacrifice myself
no matter how many times
I would have to die.
--Nid, Thailand


[This song was written by a twenty-two-year-old student at Mahidol University who sang it at the demonstration against the return of Field Marshal Thanom. When police attacked the demonstrators, Nid was shot and killed."]

The song and comment above are taken from Gifts of Many Cultures: Worship Resources for the Global Community, edited by Maren C. Tirabassi and Kathy Wonson Eddy (Cleveland, Ohio: United Church Press, 1995), page 208. I trust this reproduction falls within their understanding of "educational use with appropriate acknowledgment."

AFP photo via Aljazeera.net

God of Creation, by whose gracious gift all things spring from infinite density and flourish with diversity, you cradle the worlds in your compassion. Look now with mercy on the people of Myanmar and grant that the peoples of the world may be enlightened to see our Burmese sisters and brothers with awareness and solidarity. Grant courage to those who stand up for the multitudes, hope to the persecuted, perseverance to those who must endure, repentance to those who oppress, and a new day of self-determination, dignity, and justice. Pour your grace upon the monks and those who march with them and bathe all things in your mercy.
--the BB

No comments: