Monday, September 24, 2007

There is no alternative to the Gospel

Peter Akinola (Fred Phelps in a pointy hat) and I agree on one thing: the title of this post.

The Most Rev Peter Akinola, Abp. of Nigeria, is quoted by the Chicago Tribune as saying this in Wheaton, IL, on Sunday:

"Fornication is fornication. Adultery is adultery. . . . These are the areas of primary evangelism," Akinola said.
This is the area of primary evangelism? Man, they sure must be f***ing up a storm in Nigeria.

I wonder what text is hidden by the ellipsis. Because, as I've indicated below, this just ain't Good News, no matter how you slice and dice it.

The archbishop also supports a bill in Nigeria that would make homosexual sex and any public expression of homosexual identity a crime punishable by imprisonment.


And oppression is oppression, no matter how you slice and dice it. This is not Gospel either and I will not be shamed and scolded by this man. It would not be a very large step from his public positions today and cheering as the fires were lit to burn "faggots" in the past. [Speech that demonizes others creates an atmosphere in which violent acts become thinkable and "justifiable.")

In his sermon, Akinola often raised the Bible for emphasis and wagged his finger at the congregation when speaking of sin. He also taught the congregation an acronym, which some said is often heard throughout the Anglican Church in Africa, known as TINA: "There is no alternative to the Gospel."


I agree with that last sentence. The problem is that Akinola thinks I proclaim an alternative to the Gospel and I think he is proclaiming an alternative to the Gospel. Sort of makes it hard to reach a common ground doesn't it? Well, I cannot deny the truth I know. And he, I am sure would say the same. So it's clear to me that we must walk apart. So for God's sake, and for the Church's, and for the world's, and for our own, let's get it over with.

"If someone claims to love God and is living his life in sin, call it, tell him, so that he can grow in obedience. . . . Call him a liar and do it," Akinola said.


OK. Peter, my brother, you are lying when you speak so vehemently concerning people you don't understand. You are lying when you claim we have no part in holiness. I denounce your falsehoods and your posturing. I denounce your oppressive attitude and the shaming and criminalization you would attach to my sisters and brothers in your land.

Jesus commanded us to love each other and I am having a really hard time trying to love you. So we both need to grow in obedience there. But, buddy, you ain't in any position to cast stones or thunder from any effing pulpits. Your self-righteousness stinks and it's no wonder the Christians in Nigeria decided they didn't want you as president of their interdenominational body.

I try to be responsible when posting on the internet and I try to avoid writing in anger. I am tired of listening to this angry blowhard and tired of the implications from all over that the Episcopal Church needs to be in any sense ashamed of what it has done. We have tried to be faithful to the Gospel and to our Lord as we understand their demands upon us in our place and time. There is nothing to hide our faces about there. And I see no convincing reason to backpedal. If we waited for the rest of the Communion to be "ready" we would shun, demonize, and oppress LGBT folks for another century at least. I think we have made an idol of the Communion and of "unity" and that catholicity and orthodoxy are concepts that are being abused.

Nobody takes my baptism from me. Nobody but God declares me uncatholic or unorthodox. Y'all may call me heretic or worse, but I ain't budging from my truth.
--the BB

No comments: