Sunday, November 25, 2007

And the thanks goes on... on and on and on

Arctostaphylus uva ursi, 22 February 2003

Kirstin at Barefoot and Laughing has tagged me, so here goes:

Here are the rules, from John at SmuloSpace (the same guy who brought you 5 Things I Dig About Jesus):



• Write down five things that you're thankful for.

• Tag five friends who you'd like to see participate in this meme.

• (Optional) Include a link to the original at SmuloSpace in your post, and then visit the post yourself and place a link to your completed meme in the comments section so John can keep track of the thankfulness running around the blogosphere.

  1. My new electric blanket from Costco. Years ago I bought one that didn’t work and it was too much bother to return and exchange (retailers count on this when they do shoddy quality control). This one works and it has a pre-heat function so on cold nights I jump into a warm bed (and snuggle up with my largest teddy bear, but you really didn’t want to know that, did you?). [What? You expected lofty? You have no idea how grateful I currently am for that blanket. First thing that popped into my mind.]
  2. Finding a home in the Anglican Communion. I will also be thankful when the moralizing malcontents haul their grumpy asses out of it and we can get on with life and the mission to which Christ calls us. [It would be nice if they'd STFU on their way out the door. And yes, you are to go out the door, you don't keep buildings and other items that belong to the Episcopal Church. I give to other charitable institutions but I don't presume that I own anything about them.]
  3. Learning that I don’t have to be nice all the time (see #2 above). I regret that it took me so long to learn this. Nice cloys. Nice sucks. Nice accomplishes very little and destroys authenticity. If you’re a “nice” addict, seek professional help. You will much happier and more real.
  4. January 1, 1978.
  5. The glory of creation.

Some of us, including moi-même, are averse to tagging others. So, grab the baton, run with it, and pass it on if you feel called to do so.

It’s all about vocation.
--the BB

5 comments:

Kirstin said...

Amen to warm places to sleep, hopefully impending absence of moralizing malocntents, and the glory of creation.

For me, liberation came when I learned that I didn't have to be quiet. I can be civil without being cloying.

Why that New Year's?

Thanks for playing!

June Butler said...

I don't do tags any more, but I enjoy reading the results when others take them up.

I am afraid of electric blankets, afraid that something will go wrong and I'll be burned or electrocuted. That would work for a list-of-things-you-are-afraid-of tag.

We really didn't have to know about Teddy.

Paul said...

No, Grandmère, you didn't have to know but now that you do, you should know that his name is:
His Orthodox Majesty Maximiliano Cuauhtémoc Juárez Primo, Emperor of El Cerrito, Archduke of Hercules, and Margrave of the Great River. Cocoa to his friends. Never Teddy. I have no bears named Theodore.

I like birds. I think they are fascinating and often lovely. I have fed them seeds in my day. I love to watch them fly. I take note of them with delight. I enjoy identifying them when I see them (such as last night's grebe, no to mention two mallards and all those cranes). So I don't hate them. But I am terrified of them. Early life trauma.

I think a things you fear tag might be fun. But then we'd know too much about each other, eh? We probably already do.

Fran said...

I am with my friend Grandmere on the electric blanket, but I am pleased that yours makes you happy and warm as well.

In the spirit of community, I shall take the tag!

Come visit soon for results.

Fran said...

The deed is done should you care to come by and see!

Peace and thanks again.