Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Salva nos, fons pietatis

Officials from 49 nations gathered Tuesday
at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.,
for a one-day conference on Middle East peace.
Photo by Doug Mills/The New York Times
After all the hype and spin about how much President Bush cares about bringing peace to the Middle East, and how he’s worked the phones and listened in preparation, our Commander in Chief took off after spending less than three hours at the summit.

--Logan Murphy at Crooks and Liars

For Prime Minister Ehud Olmert of Israel, left,
and Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president,
a handshake was a starting point.
Photo by Doug Mills/The New York Times


It's just as well the jerkwad went for the photo op and split. With him out of the way the chances of communication, negotiation, and progress increase by huge orders of magnitude.

I do pray for the success of this and any attempt to resolve longstanding problems in the Middle East, yearning for that brilliant combination of justice, compromise, reconciliation, and agreement that will allow people to live side by side in peace. I also pray for the day that pathetic narcissist leaves office, and that it will hasten. (Cf. #3 of things I am thankful for.)

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem...and the entire region and the rest of the world.
--the BB

5 comments:

Kirstin said...

One other thing I'm thankful for: 01/20/09.

The "peace of Jerusalem" will always be close to me; Rachel Corrie came from my hometown. I never met her, but we had/have tons of friends in common. She was killed the week the war began; that time in that town is seared into me.

Fran said...

This is a very good take on this matter BB.

You are new to my blog, but this topic is important to me in many ways. I only now have been able to start writing about it, which I did here and then here.

Links provided only if you or other readers have an interest.

What I think we may share is a desire for peace in that place and in the world.

I pray for that peace every day and try to live it as well. Easier said than done.

Fran said...

I also meant to refer to Rachel Corrie, which is a tragic story.

The mere mention of her name to my cousin, if you have read the links in my other comment, would start its own mini war.

Needless to say, she was mentioned and in the positive but tragic by me.

So very sad.

Paul said...

FranIAm, I have noted your extensive writing in this area and have been a chicken and not plunged into the tale. I am glad you can bring the up close and personal perspective to these issues. We so easily get lost in abstractions and ignorance combined with grandstanding and fatuosity do not make for constructive steps toward peace. I suspect I shall have leisure to take in your offerings next week.

Blessings.

Kirstin said...

Fran, I'll read them when I get home. I'm on my church's computer right now, and actually supposed to be doing homework.

Oh well.

Rachel never wanted what she did to be about her. But I can't separate her life from what I know, and where I stand.