Thursday, November 29, 2007

At the end of the year


Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
It is early evening, a cold and dark November evening, and at sunset the day after tomorrow one Church year will end and another begin.

The hinge of our years, the center of our days and nights, is the ineffable Word spoken into the void, the Light that darkness never understands and cannot overcome: Christ.

Since I have explicitly stated that this is a pagan-friendly site, one may assume my vision of the Christ is a cosmic one. This is also a Muslim-, Hindu-, Buddhist-, Taoist-, indigenous-friendly site as well. I have been formed in one tradition and I have questioned and redefined but never left it. Like a banyan tree, I may have grown from one root but have since put down others. I am nourished from many traditions, as the title of this blog indicates.

My own tradition is betrayed and distorted and misused. And which faith has not been? Yet I believe within it and live from it. I seek its deep truths, not its shallow betrayals. I hope to live from the heart of the Holy, not from some rabid sectarianism. So one need not feel excluded here if I speak from within my own conceptual framework.

I just want to share a little tale, one that has been mentioned here before.

In summer of 1997 I spent two weeks in Durham, living in the University dormitory that was once the Bishop's Castle, and walking across the Green to Durham Cathedral and the shrine of St Cuthbert and the tomb of the Venerable Bede. One day we met with the Cathedral Librarian. he took us to the Muniments Room where treasures are kept and allowed us to carry some of the manuscripts from the vault, through the cloister, and into the library. There we could examine them. Being the largest person in our group I carried the largest book, one that was in a wooden box. Mother Columba and I chanted the Te Deum because it seemed the thing to do processing through a cloister.

When I opened the box I saw a manuscript bound in white goatskin. I opened it. It was the Durham Gospels, one leaf of which is pictured here. I had seen photos. I knew what I held in my hands. This was a book from which the Holy Gospels had been proclaimed in the worship of the community at Lindisfarne, the Holy Isle. I felt a tangible link with that worship, those years of service, that bastion of holiness, that island of saints.

While websurfing today I came across this photo and wanted to share this with you.

Blonde and blue-eyed because depicted by Saxons, I am guessing. So long as we don't consider Saxons normative there is nothing wrong with this. I have written an icon of a Cambodian Christ who looks, well, like Buddha. We must not limit Jesus but we must also meet him in our own place and time. He takes flesh, as the Word has ever taken flesh, in our midst.

So this is my pre-Advent meditation. May the Word surprise you, startle you, exalt you, bless you, overturn you, raise you up again, and transform you. You never know what you may find as you turn a page.
--the BB

7 comments:

Kirstin said...

[breathless]

Thank you, so much for this. And may you be blessed, as well.

Mike Farley said...

Beautiful, Paul! Your last sentence reminds me of the Gospel of Thomas: "Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there..."

Paul said...

At our retreat last Saturday I drew on that verse of Thomas when we gathered on the banks of the Rio Grande after walking to the river. So much presence and glory everywhere!

June Butler said...

This is a lovely pre-Advent meditation, Paul. That you were able to hold the Durham Gospels in your hands is awesome.

Jesus is certainly greater than any one of us can conceive of in our limited minds, but, sadly, we continue to try to box him in.

Paul said...

He certainly won't be boxed in, thanks be to Him!

Kirstin said...

Amen!

Hey, I like the new pic. And I'm rejoicing in all my odd-siblings. (God must love us; there are so many.)

Fran said...

Oh my...

"So this is my pre-Advent meditation. May the Word surprise you, startle you, exalt you, bless you, overturn you, raise you up again, and transform you. You never know what you may find as you turn a page.
--the BB"


My heart is stilled. Thank you.