Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Advent practices

Psalm 61 Exaudi, Deus

1 Hear my cry, O God, *
and listen to my prayer.
2 I call upon you from the ends of the earth
with heaviness in my heart; *
set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge, *
a strong tower against the enemy.
4 I will dwell in your house for ever; *
I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.

Kirstin at Barefoot and Laughing queries about Advent practices. Something not-Lenten yet somehow a discipline of preparation, not penitential but something that will allow one "to hold the waiting."

Since we tend to take on more than is good for us (or for those we serve), I suggested 10-15 minutes a day soaking in the beauty of Berkeley and, as often as she can manage, a bubble bath. Both can help still one and God does seem fond of meeting us in stillness.

I also promised her to post a photo from near the seminary campus just for her. So here you go, Kirstin! Photographed on 23 May 2003. I loved the form, rhythm, simplicity, and contrast. I also shot it in color but like this version.

We'll see whether I can keep up writing little meditations, my own Advent practice that just sort of happened.
--the BB

Update: here is a full shot.







11 comments:

Kirstin said...

Beloved Buddhapalian,

This is the coolest thing ever. I'm really touched. Thank you.

Nice photo. :-) And the psalm that goes with it.

I can take bubble baths in ten days. No tubs, in the dorm. We might get more rain, though--and that's always fun to dance in.

Thanks so much!

Paul said...

Dancing in the rain def beats bubble baths. Go for it!

Kirstin said...

[grin]

Kirstin said...

Hey, is this right next to PSR? 'Cause I just found it, if it is.

Went walking after lunch (thank you for that), and wandered over to see if I could see the bridge. (Couldn't, hazy.) This tower, or one just like it, was suddenly in front of me.

I wouldn't ordinarily have noticed it; I've walked there before. Thanks for dropping in to my real world, too. :-)

Paul said...

It is just down the street, heading north, from University Christian Church on your way down toward Cedar, on the east side of the street.

Kirstin said...

Been by there a million times. (Do you need anything from Elephant?) I'll keep my eyes out, next time. Thanks for this, and for thinking of me.

Paul said...

I have no relationships with elephants of any kind that I know of, and that is not a political statement. I do not know this Elephant of which you speak.

Kirstin said...

Truthfully? Here, then. Organic junk food, garden toys, yoga toys, strange-shaped head-scratchers, and dollar-a-day movie rentals.

One of the first things I found, when I moved here.

Kirstin said...

Re: update. Oh, yeah, now I know it. Thanks!

susan s. said...

That's the Elephant Pharmacy, right Kristin? Very Organic, very Berkeley, mostly expensive! ;-)

Paul said...

Ah, yes. It existed when I was there but I shopped Longs.