Friday, December 07, 2007

Advent Thoughts – Friday of Advent 1

Ah, you that turn justice to wormwood, and bring righteousness to the ground! (Amos 5:7)

In our current legal arrangements, corporations are treated as persons. Randi Rhodes gave a speech in Michigan a while back in which she said that if corporations were persons they would get colonoscopies. She was pointing out a certain absurdity about the way the law grants incredible rights, privileges, and benefits to corporations, often losing sight of real persons, human beings whose rights and welfare often are overridden for the sake of corporations.

“Tort reform,” for instance, is a code word for changing the law so that injured human beings have less recourse against the source of their injury. It is cloaked in terms of limiting outrageous settlements (which makes lots of sense) but what it ultimately does is protect corporations from accountability. The corporations win, individuals lose.

I toss this out as one example of turning justice into the bitterness of wormwood.

Where is the vision of the wellbeing of the people? What happens when the law is structured to favor some to the disadvantage of others? When it is no longer impartial?

What does it say of our nation when we have multiple standards, when we start demanding laws that penalize aliens in our land? Is that a “godly” standard?

The same law applies to the native-born and to the alien living among you. (Exodus 12:49)

You are to have the same law for the alien and the native-born. I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 24:22)

The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the alien living among you. (Numbers 15:16)

I’m just sayin’.

There is a lot of talk these days about issues of faith and politics. I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state. I do not want the state meddling in my faith, I do not want an established faith, I do not want anything that smacks of theocracy. I believe in secular government that governs for the benefit of all with freedom to practice any faith or no faith, and no religious tests whatsoever with regards to government office.

I do not care if the President of the United States is Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Wiccan, agnostic, or atheist so long as she or he will uphold the law, seek the welfare of the people of the United States, and pursue policies the foster peace and justice.

I do, however, believe that the God revealed in the Bible expects certain values to be lived out the lives of followers. Some of the rules and traditions appear historically conditioned and others universal. There is argument over which category some things fall into. But standards of justice and impartiality in judgment so clearly run through multiple strands of scripture that they cannot be easily dismissed.

It thus behooves us to stand up for justice and fight against its distortion and perversion.

Not an especially pious meditation for this Friday, but something we dare not ignore.
He brings God’s rule, O Zion; he comes from heaven above.
His rule is peace and freedom, and justice, truth, and love.
Lift high your praise resounding, for grace and joy abounding.
Oh, blest is Christ that came in God’s most holy name.
(Hymn 65, verse 2)


I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand I shall not fall. (Psalm 16:8)

--the BB

6 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

you hit it right on. Accountability...
and I have that sinking feeling regarding corporations, as well.

Kirstin said...

I worked for awhile with homeless preschool kids in Seattle. Most of their families were undocumented. Immigration's been a hot issue for me since. Nobody should live like that, be treated like that, or be condemned for seeking a better life. People make the choice to come here because their homes are untenable.

I wonder if it's possible to work for a just world, motivated and informed by your faith (general you), without being dominated by righteous anger? I don't know how to be centered only in love.

Not a criticism of you, but something I've been wondering for awhile.

Paul said...

Kirstin, you are right about the plight of those whose situation is untenable and who do what they can to survive and provide for their families. Many years ago I had the delight of teaching migrant children in summer school--and I really didn't want to know how difficult their lives were. I have been in what one could call squatters' hovels but were homes of beautiful, brave, and very poor people and can only admire their courage and tenacity. And these are the people frightened, ill-informed, unsympathetic, rabble-rousing assholes consider a threat to our nation?!!!!!

Lord, have mercy.

As for anger, it is a real, valid, and important emotion that enables us to know when things are wrong, to deal with real threats, and have energy to defend ourselves and strive for what is right. It is powerful and precious. It can be horribly misused and we can allow it to consume and destroy us. If we deny and suppress, it eats from within and erupts or acts out in myriad unhealthy ways. Used aright it is power for life, truth, justice, and yes, even mercy. We should not shun the gift and tools God gives us. Which is why I don't suppress it here. I was raised to deny or quash it. No more. It is mine and part of the power to be me.

Kirstin said...

I think you know I would never ask you to suppress any part of yourself, anger included, and certainly not in your own house. I heard a professor (not at CDSP) speak disparagingly of even righteous anger, and I've been chewing on it. What you say rings true. I'm speaking more to my own issue--it's so easy for me to slip from anger to cynicism, and I do not want to go there.

What you say about using anger as a power for good is very attractive. I need to work on being able to do it.

(I grew up being terrorized into not expressing my anger. I turned it inward. Not so much, now--but it was a long road.)

Paul said...

I have had trouble with anger issues all my life because of that suppression. Have also had those period where I was letting it take me over. Much better at just getting it out there, dealing with the moment, and moving on.

The ongoing political crisis does have me in ongoing anger. It is healthier than turning it inward and becoming depressed. I don't spend all my time on it but it flares up at every mention of the thugs in the executive branch. Until they are gone and the work or healing and restoration begins, I will keep that anger lest I become indifferent or detached.

Kirstin said...

You use your power well, and your understanding of it teaches me. I have some more things to think about, now.

For the sake of the world, I hope they're gone soon.