Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sunday evening reflections

To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
my God, I put my trust in you; *
let me not be humiliated,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame; *
Show me your ways, O LORD, *
and teach me your paths.

First Sunday of Advent, Year A
Isaiah 2:1-5
Psalm 122
Romans 13:11-14
Matthew 24:36-44

O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord!

As we enter this new year Advent bestows a listening space, a waiting space, an expectant space. Each day, from now until the winter solstice, takes us (in the northern hemisphere) deeper into the darkness. We should not fear this. Just as it was in profound stillness that Elijah heard God's voice, so in profound darkness we may come closer to the blinding glory and presence of God. Let us embrace the still time, the dark time, the waiting time with hearts attentive to the voice, the presence, the light of God. As we becalm ourselves, sit, wait... God can capture our attention afresh.

When that Voice speaks, let us attend to it. When that Light shines, let us walk in it. When that Presence makes itself known, let us rejoice and trust in it.

Ever and again we set out. We never, this side of glory, come to an end of beginnings. Now begins the Church year, the annual cycle of grace. Once more we step into the unknown, into God's future. We start over. And over. And over. Yet all our beginnings and endings, each step of our journey is in and through the one who is Alpha and Omega.

Let us then lift up our souls to God with fervent expectation, open and ready to receive grace upon grace.
--the BB

Image: Introit "Ad te levavi" from Gregorian Missal for Sundays (Solesmes, 1990) superimposed on an image of Christ enthroned (the image name is "ChristOttoIIIBig," suggesting a gospel book associated with HRE Otto III, but I could not locate the image again today in order to give credit).

4 comments:

Josephine- said...

Thank you for this Paul, a hundred times thank you. I needed to hear these words today, I needed to be reminded that God creates and recreates all things.

Tandaina

Paul said...

You are very welcome, Tandaina. As I said over at your blog just now, I rarely know where I am headed, so give credit to the Holy Spirit when anything touches someone in a helpful way. Thanks for posting so I get to cybermeet you.

Josephine- said...

Paul thank you for the compliment on the rose. If you're fond of such things check out the photography link on the right hand side of the page I'm a bit of a flower closeup junkie, bought a special lens just for them.

Kirstin said...

When that Voice speaks, let us attend to it. When that Light shines, let us walk in it. When that Presence makes itself known, let us rejoice and trust in it.

Yes, yes, and ever yes.

Thank you.