Monday, December 10, 2007

Advent thoughts - Tuesday of Advent 2

"Holy Wisdom" icon by Br. Robert Lentz, OFM (modified)

Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with full force. (Apocalypse 1:12-16)

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive for ever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. 19Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this. As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches. (Apocalypse 1:17-20)


Well, we're off and running into the visionary world of John on Patmos. Our imagination joins him as he speaks in the imagery of the Ancient of Days from the Book of Daniel. One of the details that has long fascinated me is the explanation of the lampstands and the stars.

The stars are the angels of the seven churches (symbolic of all the churches; seven = fullness).

The seven lampstands are the seven churches.


The "angels" might be considered as guardian angels of each church but I prefer to think of them as representations of the character (personality or "genius") of each church. In other words, as a different representation of the churches.

Viewed that way, this heavenly figure that we understand to be Christ is both within the midst of the churches and he holds the churches in his hand.

"...that we may evermore dwell in him and he in us."
The spatial paradox I have just mentioned is by no means the only way of looking at this passage, but I believe it is one legitimate way of understanding it, an approach that takes us into the mystery of mutual indwelling, characteristic of the Holy Trinity but also something into which we, by grace, are taken.


It is an overwhelming concept if we pause long enough to let it sink in.

And is not the season of Advent a time of waiting, listening, attending that allows things to sink in?

Who would not fall down as though dead, overcome at such a marvel of grace?

And then the Son of Man, so exalted in majesty, reaches out and touches John--and us. The incomprehensible condescension, the tender intimacy, the compassionate heart of God revealed in a touch! The Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the Living One, the risen Christ speaks tenderly and reassuringly.
Test me, O LORD, and try me; examine my heart and my mind. (Psalm 26:2)


Conditor alme siderum
aetérna lux credéntium
Christe redémptor
ómnium exáudi preces súpplicum

Qui cóndolens intéritu
mortis perire saeculum
salvásti mundum languidum
donnas reis remedium.

Creator of the stars of night,
Thy people's everlasting light,
Jesu, Redeemer, save us all,
and hear Thy servants when they call.

Thou, grieving that the ancient curse
should doom to death a universe,
hast found the medicine, full of grace,
to save and heal a ruined race.

Hymn # 60 in The Hymnal 1982
--the BB

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Revelation is a holy spectacle. I love it. I can get lost in it. Paul, thanks for the beautiful images. I like your explanation of the lamps, but I like the guardian angels idea, too.

My angel attachment is much older than the latest fad, going back to my childhood and only increasing with the purchase many years ago of reproductions of two musical angels by Fra Angelico. I was able to see the originals when I was in Florence.

Thanks for a lovely post.

Diane M. Roth said...

you find the most beautiful images.

Kirstin said...

Your graphics are incredible--and I love how you use the languages. I usually respond more to text--but those arrested me.

Thank you.

Fran said...

My spirit needed to read this today. Thank you so much.