Saturday, December 15, 2007

Observations from the (near) outside

A friend who is a benevolent onlooker (and knows too much of church fights from the inside) wrote this in an e-mail to me:
I have little stomach for the ecclesiastical road kill that is littering up the Anglican Communion these days. I assume that there will be some kind of split, though the split will be a bit muddied in good Anglican fashion, at least as far as the world wide communion is concerned. The splits will be clearer in the US. The details are boring and painful. But I think my great grandfather was right. Church fights are like cat fights with the same results, more cats and more churches. The traditional folks can worship God using a traditional paradigm and the "post-traditional" folks can go about the important business of developing a more clearly articulated non-literal theology and "praxis" (Ouch, I didn't use that word did I?) Both are legitimate, but it is time to go on with the messy details of this divorce. The sooner, the cleaner, the quicker, the better.
The emphasis is mine.
--the BB

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Meow!

johnieb said...

"Once in love with Mimi..."

Your friend's take seems spot on to this church fight veteran.