Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Linguistic risk

Today we have had a visitor from Vietnam. Welcome! Bienvenu!

I took a risk by taking the phrase "welcome to Vietnam" and substituting "BB" for "Vietnam." It might work but I may quite easily have committed a solecism in the graphic above, in which case I apologize.
Here is haunting little song, "Bonjour, Vietnam" (Good morning, Vietnam), sung in French. A yearning for one's country that one knows in terms of a Coppola film with helicopters flying in anger, a vow to go there, saying "hello to my soul, hello Vietnam." Lovely images of contemporary Vietnam (3:30m):


More contemporary views with folk music....
The North and Hanoi (4:43m)



The South and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) (7:51m):


It seems that President AWOL has been lecturing the American People on the lessons of Vietnam again. [Strains muscles rolling eyes]

I doubt he has ever learned a lesson in his life.
--the BB

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Vietnam is a beautiful country isn't it? And thanks for the lovely music. It seems that there is life after invasion by the US. Thanks be to God.

Paul said...

We can hope for Iraq but it will take a very long time. Some think it may never recover.

I am so ashamed that Americans almost elected Bush (close enough for him to steal it, both times).

johnieb said...

What you've got is "Welcome, everyone, to BB" although the second word doesn't look right: an extra "h"?

Hey, it's been forty years!

Paul said...

Thanks, johnieb! I knew someone would come along and check it for me. All in all, not bad.

Here's to the healing of nations and memories.

Blessings to you, my friend.