Monday, March 10, 2008

Rising wheat costs

The Black Horse by Giusto de' Menabuoi
Fresco (1376-78) in the Baptistery of Padua Cathedral

When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature call out, ‘Come!’ I looked, and there was a black horse! Its rider held a pair of scales in his hand, and I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, ‘A quart of wheat for a day’s pay, and three quarts of barley for a day’s pay, but do not damage the olive oil and the wine!’ (Apocalypse 6:5-6)

Bink at Daily Kos alerts us to rising prices for wheat flour all around the globe:
Minneapolis shook the commodity world when a trader paid $25 a bushel for the high-protein hard red spring wheat that trades exclusively in Minneapolis and constitutes the main ingredient found in most breads, muffins and pizza crusts. That's about five times the price of wheat a year ago, a run-up mostly blamed on thin supplies and widespread speculation from fund managers.
In addition to bink's article you may read more at the NYT.

Bink concludes:
We need fewer people, or a bigger Earth.

I think it's unlikely that either of those things is going to be happening soon.

In the mean time, it looks like we can expect prices for bread, pasta, cakes and snacks to rise, further taxing the budgets of American households already trying to figure out how to make do with less.

--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

Grandpère was bemoaning his losses in the stock market. He said, "It's got to start going up soon." I said, "I don't think so." I've been the Cassandra, crying doom and gloom for the market for some time. Anyway, money in the stock market seems like Monopoly money to me - not real money. And real money is not very real either.

"Let them eat cake!" But the price of cake will go up, too.

Lindy said...

Yet our friend Brother Benny doesn't approve of condoms. Because I guess he thinks we need more people. One wonders what all those little Catholics are going to eat. Lord have mercy.

Paul said...

Don't get me started on what I think of the Vatican's positions on numerous issues or what I think of the current Bishop of Rome. I rant enough here and my blood pressure is doing well these days. Let's not push my luck.

Lindy, I just know you and I could get into all kinds of trouble. Rowan and Mimi will have to keep close eyes on us.