Wednesday, March 12, 2008

O Doctor optime

Gregory the Great
Icon written by the BB
Private Collection

I can always count on Grandmère Mimi and Padre Mickey both to remind me of the feasts of saints and to offer apt graphics, prayers, and ponderings to nurture my soul.

My ex is not named Gregory but we used the feasts of Saint Gregory the Great (March 12 on the Episcopal and pre-Vatican II Roman calendars and September 3 on the current Roman calendar) as saint's days. I usually track this sort of thing closely but today had almost slipped right past me. I clicked onto Wounded Bird and Mimi came to my rescue. I picked up the phone, wished a happy saint's day, and scheduled a future evening to go out to dinner to celebrate. Whew. Close call.

[I would not be in trouble for fogetting; I would just disappoint myself. But I'm the one I have to live with.]

You may click on the links above for edification. No need to duplicate their good work.

Oratio for the feast of Sanctus Gregorius
from the Breviarum Romanum

Antiphon on the Magnificat:
O Doctor optime, Ecclesiae sanctae lumen, beate Gregori, divinae legis amator, deprecare pro nobis Filium Dei.

O best of Doctors, light of the holy Church, blessed Gregory, lover of the divine law, beseech the Son of God on our behalf.

--the BB

1 comment:

Episcopollyanna said...

Very beautiful. I thought about him as I was going to bed last night and was too tired to get up and post, unfortunately.