Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's been a month

Since I started working here in New Orleans. Hard to believe. Time does pass quickly when one is busy. Today we marked the anniversary (well, coincidentally) by moving from one building to another. By 3 p.m. we had packed up all our office goods and chattels and headed over to the new building (new to us, anyway). I was among the minority that stuck around until the tech squad and movers arrived with our computers and supplies and papers. We unloaded, connected, fired up, tested, etc. When I knew my computer was working, I could log into the applications, was connected to the shared drive, and could print, I finally left. At that point it had become another 11-hour day.

Now, to celebrate getting through the first month, we have enough desk space to actually do our jobs. I can move my mouse freely, spread out and store my paperwork as needed, and not be cramped with someone next to me and squeezing in so people can pass behind me on their way to and from the printer. Yay!

And this is one angle of the view from my window. Non c'è malo, eh?

This photo also signals that I finally acquired the appropriate device to download photos from my camera, so I don't have to wait a few weeks to share. Woohoo! More photos to come.

Celebrating with a Cuba libre. Ahh.
--the BB

2 comments:

Josephine- said...

Well then, no more excuses. Start sharing those photos sir!

And those 11 hour tech days? Been there, oh are they long but the reward of even space to move your mouse is definitely worth it.

I must admit a burning curiosity about what exactly you folks are doing down there.

Paul said...

Crunching numbers, Tandaina. Working on really complex reconciliations. I don't consider it discreet or proper to say much about consulting work except in a generic sense. I spend my days poring over spreadsheets, searching among several different systems for answers, documenting what I find, tidying what I can.

About a quarter of a century ago I scored ENFJ on Myers-Briggs, the "holy horseshoe" of clergy types and teachers. One thing you never expect of ENFJs is accountancy but that is exactly what I have done for a good two decades of my life to earn a living, beginning as a temp and working my way up to management. All learned on the job. Which makes it hard to get jobs as I do not have an accounting degree or even 24 units of accounting. Just lots of experience and a good knowledge of how it all works. What allows it to work for me is that I like solving puzzles. Booking a month-end close is like solving a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle.

Unlike most of my coworkers in consulting, it is not my life and outside the work day I could not possibly care less about it. I hate talking shop. Now, when "shop" is theology or history or creativity or aesthetics, that is a different matter altogether.

I am also, actually, an ambivert. Sometimes I derive energy from being around people. More often I do not. When left to my own devices I live like a hermit. While working here I take a novel with me at lunch time and eat by myself. When work is over I come home; I do not go out. I love my peace and quiet.

You now know, dear Tandaina and other friends, more about what I do down here than my own family does.