Thursday, May 08, 2008

Unless you are terrorists, I think you will find our requests not only fair, but truly patriotic.

Hunter (at Daily Kos) offers a very sensible way through the FISA and immunity impasse.
Fear not: I have a bargain to strike. I would like to announce that we, the slovenly and ignorant public, would be willing to drop our unreasonable outrage over corporations in this nation being given blanket retroactive immunity for violating both federal law and our own personal privacy... for a price of our own. A quid pro quo, if you will -- and certainly, I expect you are well familiar with such arrangements. We simply want a little payback, in order to make sure that you in Congress are asked to live according to the same rules as the rest of us.

Here is my proposal. We, the public, should be allowed to spy on you, and all those you come in contact with, with similar promisees of amnesty.
Enjoy it all here.

Update:
In a not-very-encouraging post today mcjoan wonders:
Have Dem leaders really moved in the discussions from whether to provide amnesty to how to provide it? Beyond that, why in the hell do the telcos have a seat at the negotiating table on this issue at all?
Update 2:
Check out the extensive observations by Marcy at emptywheel. The preface:
Now, before I say what I'm about to say, let me reiterate that I believe we should not compromise. The telecoms broke the law when they accepted a letter authorizing the spying on Americans signed by the White House Counsel in lieu of the Attorney General in March 2004, and they should be held accountable for breaking the law.

That said, let me make some points about what basis for compromise Steny might be negotiating, and how such a compromise might be an avenue for transparency about the Administration's (as distinct from just the telecom's) lawbreaking with the illegal wiretap program.

Remember that Steny is not just the chief broker currently on FISA. He was also the chief broker on the House bill that passed on March 14. And that bill had one provision that seems to have been forgotten in recent discussions of compromise, but was clearly intended, even in March, to serve as the kernel of any future compromises: the call for a commission to investigate the illegal wiretap program.


--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

A commission? If Democrats are elected, that could be a good thing. On the other hand, some commissions are rather unproductive. Will the Democrats have grown cojones by November?

Janet Detter Margul said...

Mimi, I doubt it, they haven't shown any signs of growing anything so far.

All I wanna know is where I can go to volunteer to type up the bills, like the lobbyists do. I think I can round up a couple of college students (and intern congressional aides at that) to put the bills on every desk.

It's a doable plan. (I do so love Hunter's pieces.)

Paul said...

Mimi, we are gradually getting a new generation elected that seem to have cojones (or fine brass ovaries, as the case may be) and that may help some of the old-timers find theirs. I only wish the process were a bit faster.

Janet, I appreciate your fine civic attitude! Now THAT would be serving the nation!