Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Bush end-run


Leila Fadel of McClatchy-Tribune reports (via the Houston Chronicle):
BAGHDAD — Iraqi lawmakers say the U.S. is demanding 58 bases as part of a proposed "status of forces" agreement that will allow U.S. troops to remain in the country indefinitely.

Leading members of the two ruling Shiite parties said in a series of interviews that the Iraqi government rejected this proposal, along with another U.S. demand that would effectively hand over the power to determine whether a hostile act from another country is aggression against Iraq. Lawmakers said they fear this power would drag Iraq into a war between the U.S. and Iran.

"The points that were put forth by the Americans were more abominable than the occupation," said Jalal al Din al-Saghir, a leading lawmaker from the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq. "We were occupied by order of the Security Council," he said, referring to the 2004 resolution mandating a U.S. military occupation in Iraq at the head of an international coalition. "But now we are being asked to sign for our own occupation. That is why we have absolutely refused all that we have seen so far," he said.

I remember when the concern was 14 permanent bases. This is NOT getting enough publicity.

--the BB

2 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

Paul, do you expect? They must cover important topics like Michelle and Barack's fist bump. They can't cover everything.

FranIAm said...

My contribution to more publicity.

And some f-bombs too boot.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.