Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Just how stupid are we?

That is the title of Rick Shenkman's book on why, as Juan Cole puts it, " the American People Were So Easily Bamboozled by the Bush Administration."

I commend to your attention the excerpt at Juan's place.

One key paragraph:
The answer is, I'm afraid, simple. Myths count more than facts in these debates because Americans don't know many facts and don't care to take the time to learn them. Unlike subjects with which they have first-hand experience--think gas prices--matters related to foreign countries are both exotic and incomprehensible to most Americans. This leaves them sitting ducks for wily pols who want to take advantage of their ignorance by playing on fear and patriotism.

--the BB

5 comments:

Jane R said...

Yup, so depressing. I heard him on NPR the other day.

I sometimes refer to this as "the triumph of ideology over facts," but in this case it looks like nobody even wants facts.

Jane R said...

P.S. I have written the Obama campaign to complain about the Senator's FISA vote. Please do same if you are concerned. If our representatives and candidates don't hear from us, they won't know we notice.

June Butler said...

Good grief, Paul! Am I going to have to worry my pretty little head with FACTS? Please!

Paul said...

Mimi, do whatever will keep your pretty little head as pretty as ever, but last time I checked it was full of facts and still pretty as can be.

And the rest of y'all... never underestimate a Southern woman.

Jane R said...

Hear, hear!